1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones: Spoilers - just like Winter - are coming.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kick in the balls.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

From the other thread - think it's worthwhile discussion here:

I don't like what they're doing with Theon, either. I get that they have to sort of run in place with that character for a couple of seasons, but his current storyline seemed pointless even before they made him run in a circle.

3. Justin_Rice

I would say that the book character Ramsey Bolton was entirely too over the top, even for HBO.

There's also been several plot points where TV has been at a disadvantage. In a book, you can hide a character (Barristan the Bold, for instance when he meets Dany). On TV, you can't do it as well.

So the Theon-Reek thing had to be redone.

But yes - Theon and Bran are the two storylines I'm hating the most this season.

Otherwise, another strong week.

The sack of Astapor was well done - one of the best scenes of the entire series so far ... until they top it with the Red Wedding.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Bran storyline has been one of my least favorite in the books. I'm sure there's a payoff coming, but it's bored me so far.

5. Justin_Rice

Obviously, Bran has some sort of massive role to play, when the White Walkers somehow manage to bust through the wall in the books to come.

I'm pretty convinced the big climax will be Jon Snow - son of Rhaegar - and Dany with her Dragons uniting Westeros to stop the White Walkers, possibly with Stark children warging into the dragons during the fight.

But yeah I agree: The Bran PoV is a snorefest.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That seems like an awfully triumphant ending. I'm assuming that if something like that battle happens, the Walkers win.

7. Justin_Rice

Though I get what you're saying - Martin doesn't seem to be much for the happy ending - there have been events like that in established Westeros history.

I mean, is that really so different than the battle of the Trident and the sack of Kings Landing?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe there is a backstory on the Walkers that justifies it.

9. Justin_Rice

Not my favorite episode this week, but I suppose there's some scene setting that has to happen.

Question:

So in the book, the red priestest doesn't go fetch what's-his-name-son-of-Robert from the Brotherhood; in the show she does. I presume this was a simplification to get rid of the whole "Robert's other bastard" that Stannis freed from Renley (am I remembering that correctly?).

But in the episode last night, she tells A.S. they'll meet again. Has Martin told the TV writers something that's going to happen down the road (that hasn't happened in the books)?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My understanding is Martin has put together a general outline that wraps up the book series in case he is unable to finish the novels.

11. Justin_Rice

I got that impression, too .... This is the first clue of it, I've seen in the shows: Foreshadowing an event which we haven't yet seen in the book.

12. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Maybe they're reworking some of the storylines.

Draft saved Draft deleted