1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 8 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 8, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, for fuck's sake. Chain of command, power - I didn't write every single trait they would have followed for brevity's sake. You're arguing semantics. The point is, they would have done as they were told. Maybe a Dothraki would have challenged Jon, but I doubt it. At worst, they would have left the way they bailed on Khaleesi.

The guy who challenged Drogo did so according to Dothraki hierarchical tradition. He didn't lead a faction of Dothraki against the Khal, or assassinate him in his sleep. He followed the rules and challenged him to combat because he didn't like being ordered around by Danaerys. Jon killed her. They would have fallen in line.

The Unsullied were followers. Period. They needed a leader with Danaerys gone. Grey Worm only needed to be convinced or killed to get everyone else on board.

I'm not going to bother to list all the quotes from characters who said Jon is a king.

All that said, I'm actually fine with how they ended it for Jon, even if it's not how I thought it would go. It's a fitting, if shitty, fate for him. Most everyone else had satisfying endings as well. Bran as king is horseshit. He would have been a better Master of Whispers for King Jon Snow since, you know, he sees all.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. bigpern23

[​IMG]

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

There is no way the Unsullied and Dothraki would have followed Jon after he killed Daenerys. She was their queen. He killed her. They were intensely loyal to her. That was built up for seasons. If you think they'd abandon their loyalty to her for someone they didn't have any connection to, well, you watched a different show than I did.

And quotes about Jon being king were based on the idea he was the rightful heir and he had a kind heart, but his actions over and over again showed he was a poor choice to rule. He let his emotions lead him into bad decisions over and over. Of the three possible Starks for the throne, Sansa was the best choice, but that would have left Winterfell without a leader, and there's no way she was abandoning the North like that.

And I'm not entirely happy with Bran as king. I just think of the Stark kids, he was the only option. I don't think there was a better fit. Well, there was one -- Gendry. But with them trying to throw out the whole hereditary rule thing, it made more sense to go with someone whose dad hadn't been king.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Wanking motion

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It makes no sense that Tyrion was locked up rather than immediately killed.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If that’s the best you can offer, then you have nothing to offer.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And what have you to offer? Some pedantic tripe about giving an actor room to breathe? Thanks, you're really expanding our understanding of what the creators were trying to do. I know what they were trying to do, I don't need some show-runner groupie to explain the obvious. I'm saying they failed in their attempt and I explained my reasoning.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

From the start of the first novel, “A Song of Ice and Fire” has been about subverting the tropes of epic fantasy. This is a GRRM thing, not a Big Head/Little Head thing. GRRM always intended this outcome. He may have already outlined these chapters, even though he has no idea how to get to it.

The good queen who will save us all? Nah, evil and narcissistic, so convinced of her own moral superiority that she was willing to run roughshod over what she believed in. The prince who was promised, saving the world and becoming king? Nope, sorry; facing a hostile army that his own lands can’t hope to fight off, he accepts foreign exile with people he actually cares about.

Sorry, this was always the plan. If we get the books, this is how the books will end.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Or that Dany, the new Queen in a city entirely hostile toward her, was left unattended in the ruins of a giant keep except for the dragon sleeping outside the door.

Webster likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really still can't get over the fact that, after the very cool visual in Episode 3, the Dothraki apparently were only half wiped out.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. bigpern23

"The plan" means nothing to me. Knowing that it was always their plan, I wish they simply made Bran a more interesting character worthy of the ending. He was far and away the worst character on the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted