1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 8 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 8, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised his reaction to Dany's murder was so tame. I think it might have been more true to the characters if he or some of the Dothraki tore Jon to shreds upon discovering he had killed their queen.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

They want to end wars, not start another one.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was surprised that Varys' messages sent out by raven didn't play a part in the finale. I thought that would be what ultimately made everyone realize Jon had the birthright to the throne and his betrayal of Dany would be forgiven.

4. outofplace

I think that was a little political rhetoric by Tyrion. He knew making Jon king would enrage the Unsullied and lead to more fighting.

Everything I've heard and read has the endpoint being Martin's choice and it just doesn't seem like Martin would want to end with a traditional hero type on the throne. When you consider the source, it makes more sense for Bran to be king and Tyrion to be his hand.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

6. outofplace

It seemed to me that Yara was the only one of the lords and ladies of Westeros who hadn't forgiven Jon. They weren't the issue keeping Jon from being king. It was the desire to find peace with the Unsullied and Dothraki.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

But the throne was NEVER where Jon was meant to be. All season they’ve hinted at him being the embodiment of the Night Watch. Really it’s been happening for years. The oath could basically have been written about him. He quoted it in his big speech after the Battle of Winterfell. I thought a few times this season he’d end up back at the wall, but I didn’t know how it would happen because I thought the Watch was pretty much gone after the Night King.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I don’t think he ever actually got the message out. I think he was writing the first one and never got it finished when they showed him last episode.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Even had Arya say the perfect title. Will be disappointing if it doesn’t happen.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Given their adherence to the chain of command, I thought the Unsullied and Dothraki would fall in line when it was revealed Jon was the rightful heir.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Maisie Williams is probably done with the character, so I'd be surprised if it did.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Dothraki care about chain of command? Since when?

Draft saved Draft deleted