1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 8 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have yet to see the Night King in any ep. 3 promo, just a row of White Walkers. The home team strat is to ambush the NK. He won't be there, obv, which leads to "so where is he then, and what is he doing?'.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

As I said: My money is "burning down either King's Landing or Old Town."

3. Neutral Corner

Heavy potential spoiler speculation. You've been warned. Could be dead wrong, but I think it tracks pretty well.

If you look at the opening credits, they start with the gap in the wall, then goes to Last Hearth, which the dead have already taken, then to Winterfell (including a dive into the crypts), then to King's Landing, ending in the throne room. The plotline is pretty obvious from that - so the fun will be in the twists that get us there.

From what Bran said, the NK has been through this cycle of trying to kill everyone and their history before. He knows the strats that have been used against him previously, and he's forewarned as a result. The wild card is that he's never had to fight against dragons. That said, if he takes part of his force south, killing and raising his way there, he'll build another army. Once he gets to a major city he can raise the graveyards and kill more living and keep growing it to huge size - and he does not have to feed his army. As you said, Oldtown is also a major target, as that is where the Maester's Tower and all their history and knowledge is housed.

Can't wait to see Cersei's face when that dead army she was glad got through the wall shows up outside her walls. I think the "burning it down" part will come from trying to use wildfire as a defense in KL.

They've really thrown travel times to the winds, though. It used to take several weeks to go from Winterfell to King's Landing. We'll see. Pure speculation, but I suspect that the Starks "win" in that they kill off a bunch of the dead and survive to fight again, but the cost...

It's going to be a brutal episode.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I like the way you think here. The piece I would add is there might be an attack on the Iron Islands as well. They made a big deal making sure the dead can't swim which I think ignores two things: One (because they might not know it) the Night King has a dragon and doesn't need to swim to attack; two the dead might not be able to swim, but in the words of Capt. Barbossa "Gentlemen. Take a walk!"

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Who dies first tonight?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Of the people we care about, Grey Worm.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He's a good bet, but I think it has to be more than that.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

More for the first one? Like a bigger deal more?

My guess is Ser Brienne is the first to go of our beloved characters

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I’m going with Podrick.

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking it’s Grey Worm because the unsullied will be the first line of defense.

Pod is a likely one.

11. Neutral Corner

The sun is going down, and the night is dark and filled with terrors.

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted