1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 8 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Jamie Lannister just had one of the great face-turns in TV history.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You’re obviously unfamiliar with Dan Scott’s redemption on One Tree Hill.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

His turn has been gradual and well-written. It began when he lost his hand and has been progressing ever since.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think it began before that. I think it started with the speech in my signature. That is still my favorite speech from the series. It was the speech he gave Katelyn Stark when she confronted him after he was captured.

5. bigpern23

I disagree totally. Throughout the conversation that follows, he belittles Catelyn, spits on Ned's grave and is generally just as big of an asshole as we knew him to be at that point. I'm not even sure he meant it when he promised to free Sansa.

But his time on the road to King's Landing with Brienne - whom Catelyn described as a "truer knight" than Jamie would ever be - reminded him of his honor as a knight. Losing his hand humbled him, and that's where I saw the turn really begin.

HC likes this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The Oathkeeper scene in the tub was arguably Jaimes best scene of the series

Killick likes this.
  7. outofplace

It depends on how you look at it. There is the storyline and the actual growth of the character. The first moment that I saw there could be more to Jaime was that speech, which explained so much of why he was such a bastard.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Theory I've seen online I'm not willing to dismiss:

Big battle starts next episode. Night King never shows up. .... because he's flown off on his dragon to destroy King's Landing and/or Oldtown.

9. bigpern23

I agree it illuminated his character. It showed him being weary of the life of a knight and known kingslayer. But it wasn’t the start of his face turn. It was still Jamie in full heel mode.

10. bigpern23

That would be an ... unsatisfying ... end to Cersei. Realistically, it would also mean the White Walkers win the whole damn thing because they’d effectively double the size of their already formidable army.

I don’t see it happening.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It would explain the Dany line "The dead are already here" in the episode trailer. It would be another incident of time travel that would piss me off, though.

In the books, it takes like a month to walk with your army from King's Landing to Winterfell. In the show, it takes a few hours.

12. outofplace

I thought that line would be a reference to the dead in the crypt rising up and attacking.

Draft saved Draft deleted