1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 7

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Jul 16, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I did say Snow/Stormborn is the only satisfying ending, not the only possible one. I'll hang up and listen. :D

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Euron Greyjoy does have ambitions beyond the Iron Islands. He demonstrated that in the Season 7 premiere, though I don't think he'll get what he wants.

How about the ending you proposed, but in the final scene Daenerys kills Jon and is left to rule alone. After all that, the throne is hers, but she's not willing to share.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I am 100 percent rooting for this ending, mostly because the show made me wait like five seasons until it made the White Walkers relevant after featuring them in the first fucking scene of the first fucking episode. I would love it if the final half of this season were the White Walkers just rolling through Westeros, destroying every house and family whose name I could never remember.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

Two caveats to that: She must have a child (dragons don't count as heirs) and she must wipe out the entirety of the Stark bloodline - The North Remembers.

I'm not sure I'd love that ending, but it works within the established narrative.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'd also put the Hound in that "most developed character" mix.

HC likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

His character has definitely changed, but I still don't really understand where he fits in the overall story. Most of the other characters have a clear motivation (often killing someone), but his still seems unclear. And I doubt the writers would devote so much of the season premiere to him if it weren't for a purpose.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

There's something really meaningful and important about the guys who have died and come back to life. What that is? I have no idea.

And I'm also skeptical that the Lord of Light is actually really a God - I think all these fire visions are being driven by something else (Bran?).

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Had to wait until Monday night to watch and it was tough avoiding spoilers.

What a great opening scene. Even though you could see it coming, it was still satisfying to watch it play out. Rest of the episode did a good job of advancing storylines. Most interested in seeing the Jon Snow and Dany dynamic play out. Seems that Sam's raven to Jon Snow is just the first step of bringing Jon and Dany together. Now, we'll see if they do end up working together to defeat both the White Walkers and Cersei.

I love Arya and she seems pretty untouchable at this point (who ever is in GoT though?), but I can't see her being able to get close enough to Cersei to kill her. She'd have to either kill Jamie or the Mountain first. Are they both on her list? Could she kill one of the Lannister guards and get in that way? Maybe that Ed Sheehan guy? Either way, she's determined to get down to King's Landing, so my hope that she'd head north to see Jon Snow is somewhat dashed for now.

The Hound is an interesting character. I'm still holding out hope for a Clegane fight, but it seems he's going the wrong direction (north) for that to happen. UNLESS Cersei does the unthinkable and marches her army north and they meet somewhere up there.

All in all, a pretty solid first episode. Showrunners are promising every episode will be hard-hitting, action-packed. This one didn't have a lot of action, per se, but an entire family was wiped out in the opening scene. Not a bad start. Winter is Here. The North Remembers!

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

She does have both of them on her list. I wonder if she's going to end up in a world of trouble, though. The Faceless Men may not appreciate her going around killing on her own like this.

StaggerLee likes this.
  10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The greyscale patient who grabs Sams arm and asks about the Dragon Queen is Jorah Mormont, yes?

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That is what I assumed. No idea how or why he ended up there, but the kept focus on him long enough that it was clear we should know who it was.

HC likes this.
  12. bigpern23

Sounded like him, too. I'd be stunned if it isn't him.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted