1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 7

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Jul 16, 2017.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Another thought: How does one kill an ice dragon? Fire? Too easy.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I don't think Benjen died. I'm not sure he can die. But I think that's a series wrap on him.

Also, regarding the Stark sister games...seemed to me that they may have been plotting together. Arya was seeing if she could trust Sansa, then letting her know she did with the dagger flip. I see Arya killing Littlefinger, claiming his face and posing as him to help Sansa lead. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

The episode had a lot of Wow! WTF! moments, but the more I thought about it after, the more I realized just how shitty and incredibly frustrating it was overall. I get that producing the show is expensive, but I have a hard time believing they're not making money hand over fist. So, why are they trying to cram everything into seven episodes? The jet-packing (stole that from a podcast) is ridiculous. In order to believe the timeline of last night's events, you'd have to believe that the Magnificent Seven spent a couple of nights on that rock, surrounded by the Frozen Fifty-Thousand. So, why not take a little bit of time showing them camping out, taking turns watching the Night King and his homies standing there waiting.

I wasn't really expecting Dany to show up (not given the time restraints of getting word to her, her mounting Drogon and then flying North of the Wall), but I guess I should have seen it coming. After all, the poster this summer pretty much gave away that one of the three dragons would become an ice dragon.

Oh, and the last thing, where did the wights get hundreds of feet of industrial strength chains to tow the dragon out of the frozen lake? Do they just have that in a backpack somewhere? Did they take BenJen's weapon and stretch it out?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I surmise that the shorter seasons are about production time ... it's taking longer to finish every year because of all the CGI, which pushes back the start date. They're not going to stretch it out into football season, so it has to end before Labor Day.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Heard lots of, 'OMG it's insane!!' from some friends who watched it days ago when it was leaked, and like someone else mentioned earlier, you could see what was going to happen miles away.

The Sansa-Arya beef would have been better sooner and maybe they are setting up Littlefinger. I mean, we all want that to happen - have the sisters united blah blah blah. Sansa sending Brienne reeks of LF getting to her, but even Sansa said, 'only a fool would trust LF'. Having Brienne gone gives her a definite one-up against Arya. What will probably happen is a huge meeting at Winterfell, Sansa giving some speech about treachery, calling out Arya and then either the guards take her, or Sansa then outs LittleFinger.

How the fuck did the Night King get some drones to same-day ship his massive chain order from Amazon? Or for that matter get the dragon chained up when the Wights couldn't swim or cross the water in the first place? Why didn't Dany just torch the Night King from the start. How much more can the writers cram in one more episode?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the episode, particularly the scenes with Sansa and Arya, but two things bugged me:
    1) Why the hell didn't Jon Snow just get up on the dragon instead of turning to fight a couple of the dead? If he climbs up, they take off and all are safe.
    C) I didn't really understand why Arya threatened to take her sister's face, then handed her a dagger and left her own bedroom. That was ... odd.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

What would have been better and something we have all been dying to see is Jon hopping on the other dragon flying. Then we would have Dany on one, Jon the other, and Night King on zombie dragon.

I think the end with Arya-Sansa was Arya letting her know 'they're good' or she trusts her again. Hell, who knows.

9. StaggerLee

I think that was Arya's way of saying "I could kill you right now, but I won't, because I trust you will do the right thing."

Hopefully this isn't too spoilery, but I believe her handing the dagger back to Sansa was a suggestion that she should return that dagger to Littlefinger, right through his heart.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If Arya wanted to kill Littlefinger, it would be very easy to do it herself. But if LF winds up dead, the Starks risk losing the Knights of the Vale from their army.

At best, they'd have to make it look like an accident.

11. StaggerLee

UNLESS, Sansa can prove that Littlefinger was plotting and not being loyal to the realm. I think little Robin Arryn is still partial to Sansa, so if she says Uncle Petyr is up to no good, then I think Lord Robin would either pardon Sansa for killing him or take it upon himself to make Littlefinger fly.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If its fire, he melts the wall. And they all pour through.

There's a theory, that all villains, real and fictional, are acting from a position where they think their actions are justified. What's the Army of the Dead and the White Walker's motivation?

To get south of the wall. Why? To be reborn? What if the Night King and the White Walkers needed a huge army to accomplish this. And they are just doing this for their survival and rebirth. When they cross through the wall, after the magic has been burned away, the army is reborn, not as zombies but as grown men and women.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted