1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones Season 6

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Key, Apr 23, 2016.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There was a character in the first and third seasons who has been brought back to life repeatedly by a fire god priest:

Beric Dondarrion

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Touché

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That reminds me. Whatever happened to good ol' Mrs. Stark. Is she still prowling around?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thus far, that storyline has been written out of the TV show. That's not to say it won't re-emerge at some point (with Sansa traipsing around in the woods, it's possible), but it hasn't yet.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Wait which Mrs. Stark? I thought both Mrs. Starks were killed in the Red Wedding.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it, it isn't in the show

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dammit, yet another reason I need to breakdown and read the books.

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Just in time for Mother's Day, will we meet Jon Snow's mother?

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

NEVER MENTION THE SOURCE MATERIAL!!! #crossthread

10. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this link, it was an interesting read. But aside from the writer's take on the Dorne storyline, much of which I bought, I completely disagreed with the rest of it.

[**Book spoilers ahead, but not TV spoilers**]

This article lost me forever when it posited Brienne's aimless wandering in the fourth book as the "thematic crux" of that novel and mourned its loss in the TV series because it somehow demonstrated that the showrunners either don't understand or don't care about "nuance." I frankly found the Brienne plot in the fourth book to be ultimately annoying and a waste of my time. Basically she spends the whole book looking for the Stark sisters (I think it was for both of them but can barely remember) in places that we, the reader, knew that the sisters were not. I vividly remember being about 500 pages deep in the book thinking, "Why the hell are we still hearing about Brienne's 'quest', which we know will be fruitless, when we haven't heard a peep from Tyrion or Daenerys?" Of course, the latter two weren't in the book at all, because Martin had gone completely off the rails and needed to break what was supposed to be the fourth book into two books, and a number of major characters never appeared at all in the fourth. Rarely have I seen a writer more in need of an editor. [Note: I like TV Brienne much better than Book Brienne, in part because TV Brienne has always remained more tethered to other characters we care about.]

Then this article mourns the loss of the Lady Stoneheart/Undead Catelyn Stark plotline, which I also found to be extremely annoying because I generally consider it a cheat when characters come back to life. (Though I may be forgiving that on Jon Snow; my jury is still out.)

Overall, I believe the TV series is better than the novels. Of course the TV series couldn't exist without the novels, which created the universe and the characters, so in many ways it's not a fair comparison. But IMO Martin got carried away in the novel series and indulged (and was allowed to indulge) his penchant for overwriting, with the fourth book being the most vivid, and painful, example. The TV series, meanwhile, has trimmed a lot of the fat of the novels while keeping the meat. It's filet mignon compared to a side of beef.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Is Walder Frey still alive? Is it sneaky crazy for Ramsey to have crossed him (setting aside that Ramsey is clearly crazy).......the guy set up the red wedding over Robb dissing his daughter, feeding one to the dogs probably isn't going to go over swell.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

*SPOILERS, OR AT LEAST BOOK MATERIAL, EITHER WAY YOU BEEN WARNED**

Didn't Martin break up books 4 and 5 geographically? 4 was in Westeros, 5 was in Essos or vice versa? So Dany and Tyrion weren't in whichever one it was because they were across the Narrow Sea.

Not that that necessarily justifies it, but there was a reason they weren't in Feast for Crows.

Draft saved Draft deleted