1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones season 5 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm pretty bored with this show.
    I don't think I'm going to stop watching, but it just doesn't measure up.
    I have watched since the beginning, and in retrospect it has always been more expectation of entertainment than it has been delivery of entertainment.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Red Wedding. Battle of the Blackwater. Battle of the Wall. Jeoffrey's death, the bitch going out the moon door, the Mountain winning the trial by combat...

[​IMG]

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

those are all good good, although there wasn't a lot of action with the battle of the blackwater.

although i haven't liked area's storyline very much overall, i'm intrigued by it now.

but still, i want more to happen. it just put me in mind that although i have watched the show every week, there are a lot of episodes, through four-plus season, in which nothing really happens.

i want all shows to be like the americans, balls out all the time.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You get bored by every TV show or movie you watch, don't you?

spikechiquet likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Chuck Klosterman said something about Game of Thrones which I agree with. Basically, he said that the best TV makes you think about your own life. GoT is just about the show and has no particular deeper meaning.

It's fine escapist TV with fine acting and direction, but it's nowhere near the best dramas.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why does the best TV make you think about your own life? I don't agree with that at all.

24 and Lost are two of my favorite shows of all time (and among the most popular of the last 15 years), and there's not a thing about them that make me think about my own life.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Chuck Klosterman is a walking, talking derp.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's a fantasy show, but it has some pretty strong themes of family, parenting, politics, power, ethics, loyalty, etc. That's not the kind of stuff that makes you think about your own life?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The books were, are and will be slogs to get through.

The producers have done a good job of cutting out some of the circular walking around that George R.R. wrote about and they've ditched some storylines that may or may not be important in the books going forward but I think it is pretty clear that if they could, they would have ditched a couple more before the show even started and have a more condensed show but they didn't.

So the end result is a bit of a meander and not as focused as it could be.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not every one, but a lot of them.

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

That sounds like a YOU problem, Buck.

Draft saved Draft deleted