1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones Season 3 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Mar 31, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Game of Thrones returns at 9 p.m. tonight.

As I mentioned on the other thread, if they stick to Storm of Swords, there is some great stuff coming. Just remember not to be too attached to anybody.

I'm just happy they have a replay at 10 p.m., because I'll be watching the season finale of the Walking Dead at 9.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I liked the first two season, but as one who never read the books, I think that there are way too many characters running around and it makes it too hard at times to follow. I will watch, but it is in that zone of dramas where I don't mind falling 3 or 4 episodes behind.

All I have been reading about the past week is how this is apparently the best show on TV. Which proves that HBO's hype machine still works well.

3. outofplace

There are definitely too many characters and it is hard to follow. The books are the same way.

That said, there is some great stuff mixed up in the clutter.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have not read the books, but my girlfriend has read the first four (she's waiting for book 5 in paperback). She says the third book is BY FAR the best.

So I'm pumped.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

She's not wrong.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is the worst Game of Thrones Season 3 Running Thread ever!

I hope last night set up the rest of the season nicely, though.

7. outofplace

Honestly, the episode was just meh, so I'm not surprised by how limited the response is.

The assassination attempt was cool. I love the detail of the thing trying to sting the knife as it is dying.

I kinda wish they hadn't explained who Barriston Selmy was right after he saved Daenerys. I thought it worked better in the book, where his real identity was a mystery for a while. I know it is more difficult when you can see the actor's face, but that would be a good place to take advantage of how confusing it gets with all the characters coming and going. I'm sure plenty of viewers wouldn't have even recognized the former head of the King's Guard without the clip at the beginning of the episode.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I thought it was a great season opener.

I was/am hoping that Dany somehow speaks the language that slavemaster was speaking.

Haven't read the books, yet, but apparently this season carries halfway through Storm of Swords, from what I read in an article recently. Should be interesting that they packed two seasons into one of the supposedly best books of the novels.

All I know is I'm damn glad this is back on.

Did have a problem though, would've been good to see how Sam got away from the White Walkers, who he was surrounded by at the end of Season 2.

9. outofplace

That's what I was wondering, too. Did they just not bother with him? Would have been nice to follow up on that scene.

I can definitely see Storm of Swords being enough for two seasons.

I'll refrain from spoilers regarding Dany's dealings with the slave master. It seems like they are going to pull that right from the book.

10. No Strong Belwas.

Disappointed in that.

11. outofplace

Good point. I think it would have been interesting to see that character brought to life.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Judging from the episode names that were leaked, the big event in the book (which occurs two-thirds of the way through the book) will take place in episode 9 this year, which is supposedly one episode short of halfway through the story line. They're going to have to fuck with the chronology somewhere to make that work.

Draft saved Draft deleted