1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones is Bad - and Bad for You

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

All the men had either died the war or because of the Spanish flu. What did you expect?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No doubt there are many factors that affect it. Homicide being a mostly male crime, the demographics have an affect.
    There would also have to be some way to normalize for the increase in reporting over time and the increased categorization of homicides, right?
    As there is increased policing, more detailed and better policing, you would like see an increase.
    Which means a 1.96 murder rate in 1865 could have been well above 2 with modern policing and law enforcement in place.

3. Spartan Squad

My post was slightly tongue in cheek anyway, but all of this is true. As society began to truly evolve into what we know it as today, the methods of prevention and prosecution would have gotten better plus just being more stable I'm sure helped. Did you happen to see what the rates were during all the WWI years? I'm curious if there was a steep decline from 1915 through 1918 or if 1918 was truly an aberration.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

5. Spartan Squad

Yeah it looks like the war was a coincidence. From 1903 to 1944 was a steady below 1. I wonder what the hell happened in 1945 to go from 0.84 in 1944 to 1.15 in 1945 then down to 0.81 in 1946. And then you can tell when things went to shit in the UK in the 70s as the rate went up and didn't fall below 1 again except for one time through 1993.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It is interesting to think of possible correlations.
    Certainly the troubled economy of the '70s and early '80s would seem to be likely correlation.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Liberal social elites (upper middle class white coastal cosmopolitan college educated book readers) enjoy culture. High brow and low brow. Not to be confused with left wing doctrinaire feminist victimhood minority or guilt ridden white pseudo-intellectual. Right wing pseudo conservatives have no decent culture.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

One of the things I've had to work on is normalizing data to account for differing factors.
    That why I'm curious about how the changes in policing and crime reporting would change the rate.

Note: When I say 'I've had to work on,' I really mean that I've had to work with consultants to normalize data to account for changing factors. I do public affairs. I let the data analysts do the data analysis, and then I talk about it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In that case, oop and Dick need you over in the ERA/SIERA argument ...

JC likes this.
  10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Brits came home to find wifey had been boning Uncle Sam.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Crime stats are often shaped to serve political interests.

In terms of policing, not sure why you think better policing leads to more crime. It might briefly, but after passage of the 1994 crime and subsequent state reforms crime went down quite a bit.

That's because many more people are locked up. More than a million more since 1994. That's a lot of crime not being committed, well, outside of prison.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It doesn't lead to more crime, but more police, better policing and more crimes reported. It changes how things get categorized and counted.
    When there are few police, ineffective policing and a lack of understanding or belief in law enforcement, fewer crimes get reported, and crimes are not well categorized or counted.
    As policing and law enforcement evolved and improved, there could be more crimes reported, more properly categorized and more properly counted.

You raise a good point about incarceration having an effect on commission of crimes as well. More criminals incarcerated leaves fewer criminals to commit crimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted