1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones is Bad - and Bad for You

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Of course this is from another violent, profane HBO show with no redeeming value.

cjericho, SnarkShark and qtlaw like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Crimes, yes. Homicides though?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Even homicides.
    Infanticides and the deaths of prostitutes and women of the lower and criminal classes were likely to go unreported or were not categorized correctly:
    How Safe Was Victorian London?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Interesting essay on GoT.

A Game for Our Time

"Not long ago I was at dinner when yet one more moral debate broke out about our own political ends and means — including the high moral cost of “winning.” At issue was the question of political tactics. Did the “high road” work anymore? Don’t the nice guys always lose, and when they lose don’t the virtues they believe in ultimately lose as well? In that moment, the nerd in me was transported to Westeros, to an increasingly amoral society, unmoored from its traditions and full of entitled and ambitious men and women who compete for power with unrestrained viciousness. Does that sound at least vaguely familiar? Is it any wonder that Game of Thrones resonates in the modern American heart?"

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If people were being honest and fair they would say that Nixon, Clinton, Reagan, Bush and Obama all did what they did because they felt that their policies were best for America. THat they would sacrifice some policy goal for the sake of getting the remainder of the policies enacted, but that their ultimate goal was their belief that they were doing the right things for the country. People may disagree with the policy, but honest and objective views of their presidencies would reveal relatively honest and honorable motives.

Does anyone think trump wants anything more that to be perceived the winner? If Bernie Sanders wasnt already to the left of Hillary, Trump could have easily slipped into that policy slot. Trump is not about using his vision to make a better country or a more secure country. His motives are 100% personal. Nixon wanted to win not just because he felt he knew what was best for the country but to show those elite bastards that Nixon was every bit their equal or better. But trump has no fucks to give about the direction of the country as long as he believes in the end people will cheer his winning. trump has no morals because trump has no aspirations for the country, just win, baby. Trump is Steinbrenner without the warmth and charm

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump wants to:

1. Win. (And rub everyone's noses in how he won, bigly).

B. Drain as much money as possible from his campaign contributions and the U.S. Treasury into the Trump Organization's coffers, which so far as he is concerned are the spoils of #1.

He does not give a shit about what anyone thinks as long as he gets the above, other than a bully's joy in their helpless rage and frustration.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can we please keep the politics on the politics thread? Thank you.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Can I get the hall pass to go to the restroom, please?

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I watched Game of Thrones last night. I don't feel like it was bad for me.

10. outofplace

Nah. You can just shit right where you are just as the folks dragging the political crap were doing on this thread.

11. outofplace

The stuff with Sam was kinda nasty. Does that count?

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It was pretty gross, but beautifully filmed. I'll say no.

Draft saved Draft deleted