1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game note-taking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 3, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Lighten up, Francis. ::)

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How about when they write down the pitching lines? You must bust a gut.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just joined, so this is my first post. Figured it was a good one to get my feet wet in...

For basketball, I have two homemade scoresheets stapled together. Each one is broken into a sort of grid, with spots for points, rebounds, assists, turnovers, steals, shots and free throws attempted and made, and fouls. As the game goes along, I use the old tick marks to keep track of stats. On the back of the second sheet is two columns (one for each team). At the top of each, I add up the totals for each team at the end of each quarter. Under that, I chart runs by jotting down the score every few minutes or during timeouts. Use the same space to note key plays, especially toward the end of the game. Toward the bottom is a spot to keep up with the score by quarters and the halftime stats.

For football, I just keep a play-by-play and add up the stats at haltime. Then when it's over, just add the second half and total them up. I've spent eight years covering preps, so there are no postgame notes in my world and little opportunity to write before the game is over.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

I like to write a few details down on my hand and then remember the rest with my still-hungover noggin.

Draft saved Draft deleted