1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game Highlights for online show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsnut, Nov 9, 2011.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I am not sure, if this has been answered already, but what is the process of using game highlights on an online show?
    I mean, with youtube launching YoutubeTV what would be the cost and process of doing a sports show and getting rights to use NFL, NBA, NHL, NASCAR highlights to report the scores, big plays etc? I am talking more like FSN Newsflash where the program is like 5 min long not a full 30+ minutes like Sports Center.

I was wondering, because I heard that you can use a specific amount of highlights without paying a rights fee because it's online and nobody online can really afford thousands of dollars to pay for it.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Rights fees for footage of those leagues you mentioned can run into the thousands per minute or per second depending.

I'm not sure how aggressively the leagues pursue bloggers and small websites, but suffice it to say I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a cease and desist letter from them.

Draft saved Draft deleted