1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Well, I just got assassinated.

Had Wisconsin under 31 points at +100 today for a sizable, sizable amount and also as a hedge of Wisconsin to score 31-40 points for +275. They won't score 41 or more, right?\

Well, they will with 4 interceptions and a fumbled and blocked punt. Holy crap.

Always considered Wake Forest soft. Didn't consider their approach to offense and holding a lead to be this lacking in intelligence. Almost as dumb as I was.

A hard lesson to learn. I'm a grinder -- I make $30-50 a day of late. Do NOT go for the big score.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  2. exmediahack

I read about the DK NBA boost but it's not available in all DK states. Got a nice 100% one today for college basketball. Play these smart and they do add up -- just don't blow it all on, say, Wisconsin scoring less than 41.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd love to know how the apps decide which states do and don't get some of the basic odds boosts. I understand if PA users don't get the same specials for Indiana basketball.

4. exmediahack

Their marketing teams do specialized ones for the different states. MileHigh can probably speak on the Colorado special bets that I see on Twitter.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado is flooded with specials everywhere I look, mostly because we're only eight months into it, but they are raking in millions more than they could have imagined.

6. exmediahack

Lots of NBA blowouts early.

If your book has a prop for either team to win by 17+ or 20+ at a big number, may be worth a few bucks here and there.

Webster likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My apps are a bit lacking in offers today, I guess they figure everyone's watching games and betting already so they don't need much coercing. But I did find a way to hedge Ian Book passing yards, $6 guaranteed (wheee!) but a potential $100+ payday if he lands between 250-263.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

DK has a 50% live boost, so at kickoff, I took the Bama over.

Also, been taking Man United to be awarded a penalty, which has been coming in around +275 and been a goldmine. Hit again today.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

First thing I did after that end-of-game safety in Cincinnati-Georgia was look at the over-under. Alas ...

Batman likes this.
  10. exmediahack

Freaking ND. I had a middle of 17.5 to 19.5

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Same here. Figured the O/U wasn't in play, but thought the spread might have been.

12. exmediahack

Taxes. Taxes. Taxes.

Turned out that it was a fabulous year for me in 2020. The only thing that really went well... was betting on sports. I profited about $8,500 from the sign-up bonuses (maximizing the free bets), arbitrage plays, value plays and hitting the occasional long-shot.

The REAL bad days were the ones where I thought I was smarter than the line.

For the most part, I was pretty disciplined -- only had 5 days the entire year where I lost more than $100. 22 days at more than $100. Most days it was just plus 14, plus 33, plus 7. Joey Knish sports gambling. Thanksgiving to now, I made about $2,300 profit, mostly from these soccer parlay promos on FanDuel.

Sunday may have been my best day ever.
    I hit a 0-0 game in Italian Soccer to start off with a $10 free bet. +81.
    Packers scored exactly 5 touchdowns. +91
    Patriots-Jets exactly 7 points in the first quarter +44
    Washington-Eagles U43.5 +70
    Eagles' fourth drive went for a touchdown. $25 free bet at +400. $100.

Now... the taxes are due. Looking at 30+% to withhold (gulp). I do have a goal for next year. Keep doing this and try to rebuild it up past $10k and pay off one semester of tuition for each of my kids.

playthrough, MileHigh and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted