1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Clemson-BC spread got as low as 23 points yesterday after opening as high as 33. Looks like it rebounded to close around 26. Some gamblers are weeping with joy right about now.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Goddamn what a sweat for Saturday.

I had a $250 free bet -- for signing up at a new book -- and I promptly dropped it on LSU-Auburn U63.5. Looked like the easiest cover in the world. Then LSU quits playing defense. Then Auburn throws deep on them to open the fourth quarter... UP 38-3. WTF?!? I hedged very late - and scared - at O64.5 for $110 so I only profited $117 instead of the $227 I was looking at. Kicking myself all night for not hedging anywhere from 38.5 on up.

The Iowa-Northwestern game was... pleasant. It's 14-0 Iowa and they're driving after another turnover. However, Northwestern is +750 ML at this point. I'm thinking "they have Ramsey, a good running back and these turnovers are killing them, they'll right the ship." Put $7 on the +750. Iowa is a disaster.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dammit, I hate when my instincts are dead-nuts on with a game, and it still goes sideways.
    I took the Rams -3.5, figuring their defense would shut Tua down, and they have. Miami has less than 100 total yards late in the third quarter. Unfortunately, the Dolphins turned two strip-sacks of Jared Goff and a punt return into 21 points and the Rams have four turnovers total. A couple of those have been in the red zone. So despite being outgained 275-87, the Dolphins are winning 28-10.
    Ugh.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I hit a little three-team, $20 parlay yesterday, getting the Seahawks +5, Saints +0.5 and SEA/SF O48.5 for a tidy $32 profit.

I suppose I would have hit both bets on the Seahawks game had I made them straight up, but I would have missed on the Saints. I've never particularly like parlays, but I'm glad I hit it. I would have probably put $10 per game had gone straight up, so I would have risked $10 more and made $23 less.

That said, I have traditionally fared better by betting games straight up.

6. exmediahack

Winning a 3-teamer on MACtion opening night is high livin.

buffalo -13, CMU ML and Toledo U63.

7. playthrough

The people who figured out that the MAC should play all its games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays should just be running the whole country.

8. exmediahack

I have been assassinated... just assassinated today on Europa League unders. These are like MISL Comets-Steamers games from 1985. Holy crap.

What a disaster. Roma pumps in a goal in the first 75 seconds. Young Boys now with two in the first 17. Both games I have U3.

A good reset to remember "just when I think I've got it all figured out..."

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  9. exmediahack

At least I pulled out a push from the Young Boys game, a 3-0 final. Whew. What a day of carnage.

Very Chutes and Ladders. For the last month, I've averaged daily profit of $29. Today... I lose $107. Back on the horse tomorrow.

10. playthrough

A few of my apps offer "risk-free" first-to-score-a-TD bets from time to time, so I took a shot on Adams last night at +450. Winner! But in the gambler's lament "I looked at that, didn't bet it" department, BetMGM had a boost on Rodgers to +230 to throw 3 or more TD passes. Covered that in the first half.

11. exmediahack

Made $103 back already on two soccer totals with bad lines. Southampton U2.5 and Koln U3. Back to normal.

Lots of picks I like..
    SDSU -10
    Sparty +200 ML
    Florida +135 ML
    Kansas/Oklahoma O63
    Rutgers/Buckeye U65
    Oregon St -3
    East Carolina +4
    Michigan ML -155 LOCK
    USC-Sparky U57
    Vandy +19 and U45
    K-State +12.5
    ND +6 and U50
    Tennessee -1 U52.5

12. exmediahack

You could pay off your mortgage fading my picks so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted