1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now that's the tip of the day. Definitely on my top-10 all-time list.

"I'll have another Drambuie and potato salad, and while you're at it give my friend here another J.T.S. Brown."

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Great, great film. Sublime camera work by Scorsese and Ballhaus. As an aside, Kingpin was a worthy lampoon of it.

3. bigpern23

Follow up ... Dropped a solid $800 the next time I played. As noted above, I lost monster pots on several improbably big hands. Lost $437 on a full house to a higher full house on the river and dropped $200 on AA all-in preflop vs. A-8, with the other guy hitting a four-card flush on the river (8 high, no less).

Definitely hurt losing all my profit (and then some) in one night, but I'll give it another go tonight.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It sounds like you were stuck in a loop of playing the villain role in the climactic scene of any poker movie, ever.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

Sounds about right.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For all the under players, thank you Georgia Southern. Going for 2 late instead of OT. Cash that U52.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My first football bet of the season was UCF minus-27.5 at East Carolina.
    After hovering right around the number the entire second half, UCF scores late to go up 51-21 ... and then promptly gives up a garbage time touchdown with 18 seconds left for a 51-28 final.
    Loser, loser, no chicken dinner. Of all the things that have been upended in 2020, bad beats were not among them.

8. exmediahack

My greatest bad win just now.

Iowa state and TCU.

Had a promo to win 15 percent more profit if I bet this game. Max $30. So bet $220 to win $230.

Had Iowa state -2.5 for $220 and TCU +3.5 for $233 right before kickoff.

A missed XP earlier in the third threw the game off. Iowa State led by 2 and 9 all game. Until the last play...

Ho Lee Fuk

9. exmediahack

Can’t believe that hit O77. Was flying under most of the day.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was on that under too, argh. East Carolina was playing as if that last touchdown was going to carry over to next week.

Great job on Iowa St. I had that -2.5 in my notes all week but didn't play it. Gonna find out tonight if Alabama 1H is the hot thing again.

11. exmediahack

Mine was strictly a free roll and I was kicking myself for not taking Iowa State pick em on Thursday before the line moved.

I should have lost $6 in juice. Instead, I won $445 that I do not deserve.

12. exmediahack

Wild ride today. Mississippi State, Texas Tech and Kansas State all gonna get there today for me.

Just need Florida State +12 and Troy/BYU U61.

Draft saved Draft deleted