1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Is it a pain in the ass to fund online accounts like Bovada?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I was younger, I used to gamble a ton. Pre-hold em boom, I played poker all of the time in local games and cleaned up because I went by the odds more than my friends and was more aggressive. Played blackjack a lot, but now get bored quickly because I basically play the charts. I tend to play a few hands with big bets and if I get lucky, put away my stake and roll with the winnings. The last two times in Vegas, I won enough in 30 minute stretches to pay for my whole weekend.

But I really love sports gambling. When I was at Cornell, I cleaned up betting Ivy League football and especially hoops. The line makers were awful. I still bet NBA a lot, especially money line and over-understand, which have gotten way harder recently.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine who is pretty hardcore has repeatedly told me Ivy games are easy prey if you're a serious gambler. He's gotten to be Internet friends with a group of four or five guys who work the angles on women's college basketball.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Small school college hoops is profitable if you pay just a little attention to it. If you cover it, you'll clean up.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I lived with some guys on the hoops team and a couple of guys who were grad assistants. I doubt that many people watched more tape than was played in that house. So I had an advantage on the market. Plus, the schedule was Friday and Saturday night games and except for those visiting Penn and Princeton, the away teams had awful commutes late on Friday night. I noticed that the away team on the Saturday night games did terribly against the spread. Hence my spending money junior and senior years.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Love jai-alai.

Fifteen years ago, when we sold our house in South Florida and moved to Texas, my wife went to Texas a month ahead of me so I could stay behind, finish the sale, get the move done, etc. I went to the jai-alai fronton 31 nights in a row and made a boatload, thanks to some good research that gave me a ton more information than everyone else had in the program. Wish I could do it again.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Six or seven years ago, buckdub and I cleaned up in Vegas playing blackjack the first night and craps the second night. Basically paid for our five-day small SJ outing. I was up $900 and buck was up $625 or so.

Last year during my bachelor party weekend, I got up $1,000 at a blackjack table with a $100 buy-in. All my buddies were trying to convince me to leave because I probably sat there five hours or more. Lost that whole $1,000 back in less than a half-hour.

And that's the last time I gambled.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Love jai-alai too. Was crushed when I moved to St. Pete full-time and the Tampa fronton closed at the same time. I fully believe there's cash to be made in that and dog racing, with homework. The dogs do everything the same. And at Derby Lane in St. Pete in the rain, all the water drains to the inside so the outside runners are stone-cold locks.

If you're looking for a current moneymaker...IU football, over. It's cashed at about a 70 percent clip the last five years. I picked a bad time to stop betting sports.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I love betting dogs and horses and do so with solid results. I love the trill of the race and love the animals, so that sparks my interest. I've gotten pretty good at both throughout the years.

I will also bet anything where I'm involved (golf, shooting, fishing, 5Ks, who can move more product in a fund raiser, you name it). I play poker with regular success because I am a rock. I like the craps table because you can take a small amount, bet the pass line all night, and have an exciting evening with minimal loss/gain.

I make an annual gratuitous Super Bowl bet just for laughs, but until some team lets me suit up, I don't do much sports betting.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That Baylor kick return was a beautiful thing.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ah, craps. That will always be my favorite, just for the camaraderie. So many great stories, such as:

The time in Biloxi where the woman at the other end of the table had a low-cut shirt and was on fire, so me and my buddies essentially got paid for watching a peepshow.

The time on the river in Indiana where the house had to bring more chips 'cause we were winning so many. I've never seen that in a live game. Sure enough, a woman with no knowledge of the game had the dice. She probably made $100, betting her $5 at a time on the pass line while some of us took away thousands.

The time in Atlantic City when my sister and hit a game in the wee hours, only other guy on the table was a loudmouth jackass. He had the dice and shot a few winners but just wouldn't stop hassling the dealers. Finally, the pit boss said "when you seven-out, you're outta here." I whispered to my sis, "watch this, he's liable to go a while now." And he did, probably for another half-hour. The staff was seething; we tipped well to ease the tension.

The time at the IndyCar season finale where, the night before, the media relations head was rolling with his girlfriend, both rookies, and couldn't lose. Funny thing was, noted degenerate Robin Miller left the table just a little while before they started. When I told him the next day what he missed, he looked like he was going to be sick.

And of course there's another 20 stories about going belly-up, but who remembers those?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Once you make the mistake of calling the 50, the 150 is alright.
    Calling more tna 50 percent of the pot with bottom pair, not good.
    Biggest mistake, though, is other guy's shove. He's got to know he's with the 3k over bet..

Draft saved Draft deleted