1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I can literally only think of two times I've left a LIR table down, and both times I figure it's because I didn't bring enough cash to the table. I've been paid out over $2K three times.

Both times I lost, I was playing a $10 minimum bet table and bought in with $100 once and $160 the other time. The time I bought in with $100, I played for a couple hours and busted out. The time I bought in for $160, I literally lost 14 consecutive hands.

Since that loss, I've made sure to buy in with at least 20x the table minimum. That has allowed me to stick in long enough to eventually hit a decent hand, and I've always finished ahead (usually somewhere between $200-$700, occasionally higher, sometimes lower).

I haven't delved into the statistics and theory of the game, so I'm interested learn more.

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. bigpern23

So I switched out of playing cash games on Bovada to focus more on sit n go tournaments and have, thus far, had much better success. I've primarily played the Jackpot Sit n Go, which is a three-handed, winner-take-all tournament. They randomly select the payout multiplier, which near as I can tell, is always either 2x or 5x the buy-in. The "jackpot" payout for a $20 tournament is $24K, but I haven't seen that yet. The jackpots I've seen so far have only been $40 (which is kind of a ripoff, as Bovada pockets $20) or $100.

Still, I've made back most of the money I lost in the cash games and currently sit $50 in the hole.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Buddy set up a game on realcardspoker so got something to look forward to.

4. bigpern23

Just realized I can not recommend Bovada. This is my own fault for not trying to cash out when I had less money in my account (like, the first time I played), but I just realized that they charge a $100 fee to get paid out via a check or wire transfer. It's free if you take payment in Bitcoin or a Bovada voucher (which, of course, makes no sense).

Now, I have a few hundred sitting in my Bovada account, but not enough really to justify taking the $100 hit for a wire transfer. Maybe I should take it in Bitcoin and hope I hit a surge in its price! o_O

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

NFL Draft locks as I hope my apps will offer them.

Jordan Love OVER 16.5 picks.

Georgia OVER 1.5 players in first round. Pair it with DeAndre Swift to get taken OVER 27.5. You’ll win at least one. If Swift gets picked 28-32, win em both.

6. bigpern23

A group of us who used to play cards together all the time in our 20s got a virtual home game together last night on Pokerrrr 2. Eleven guys and a few small multi-table tournaments.

The app is really good, and even lets you send voice memos in the chat window, so we were able to talk to each other. It was insanely fun.

Looks like we’re going to make it a weekly thing and we may incorporate a Zoom meeting to make it a little more like we’re in the same room.

EDIT TO ADD: We used Venmo to deal with buy-ins and payouts. Worked out pretty well.

qtlaw likes this.
  7. bigpern23

Did anyone ever get anywhere with forming an SJ poker group? If not, anyone here is welcome to join our club on Pokerrrr 2. We're at 17 members with a weekly Monday night game at 9 p.m., plus occasional games in between.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Noting for the record that all three of these were winners. I hope you had a stack of folding money on 'em.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What's the game code?

10. bigpern23

n4goc is the club code.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

request sent from chef.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. bigpern23

You're in. If you don't mind outing yourself, we try to have new members use their real names so we know who we're playing against. There's a few guys who use nicknames, but they're well-known to the majority of members by those names. It makes it more personal if we all know who we're playing. It's up to you. We aren't forcing the issue. Also, if you don't already have Venmo, that's the payment method we're using.

EDIT TO ADD: Not sure where you're located, but we're on East Coast time, if that matters.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Chef2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted