1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Go with what you know, man. There are big differences between betting on college and the NFL. If you feel more comfortable with the NFL, stick with it.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I am a middling 51 percent on my CFB so far. Lots of action.

However, I’m 11-3 on sides or totals from Week 1 NFL. Even had a Texans ML sprinkle that almost hit. Lots of dogs, lots of unders.

Teams that lose Week 1 and are a dog against a 1-0 team are 36-24 ATS going back 12 years. 62 percent. Go take it. Carolina. Jets.

Also, I'm very pleased with the potential of my prop middle. Deebo Samuel OVER 1325 rush/receive yards but UNDER 950 receiving yards. I think the 49ers will run him into the ground and I have no confidence that Lance will get him the ball. 52 yards running, 14 yards receiving in Week 1.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    MileHigh likes this.
  3. exmediahack

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Impressed that DK wasn't limiting that to just $25 or so. Surely every VIP paying attention was down for the $500.

5. exmediahack

Two friends of mine got down $500 max on the ML. Won Chargers, Ravens, Browns and Raiders in Week 2, got paid early. Still collected on Chiefs, Dolphins, Jets and Cardinals at other books for minimal juice.

I taught them well from my non-legal state.

The key was to find high-scoring teams with a history of strong first-half play. Ravens (70% ATS 1H with Lamar), Chargers (only because the Chiefs start slow), Raiders. He was also on Jags, Eagles, Bills, Browns. Won both sides of those. Definitely quite the Sunday.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    MileHigh likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

UCF -20 vs. Georgia Tech today.
    UCF receiver drops a TD pass with 4:20 left and they kick a field goal to go up 27-10 instead of 31-10.
    Get the ball back, and a RB is ankle-tackled at the 15 yard line as he's breaking into the clear. They plod down to the 10, run two wildcat plays that get to the 5, then let the clock bleed out.

Sometimes the bad beats come from the small plays that aren't made as much as the last second heartbreakers.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Know how to avoid bad beats? Stop betting on sports.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And you know how to avoid dying in a car crash? Never get in a car.
    Posting that on the gambling thread is like those religious zealots who carry signs condemning the sinners on Bourbon Street.

playthrough and MileHigh like this.
  9. swingline

I nearly got in a fight with one of those God Hates Fags fuckheads in 1999 Mardi Gras when I shoved his bullhorn back in his face. Those dickheads were everywhere.

And @Batman, I was just busting your chops. Lighten up, Francis.

Batman likes this.
  10. swingline

I’m fascinated by how much y’all know about sports gambling.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice that Doug Kezerian lost his host chair on ESPN's Daily Wager?

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Is there a more insufferable asshole on the planet than a poker player who loses a hand to someone who does not follow the percentages and direction page of how you should bet in certain situations?

I’m firmly with Team Titties on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted