1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember going to racetracks and seeing the IRS windows (and no one ever there) and I know that slot jackpots over $1099 come with a W-2 form, but that's the end of my personal knowledge.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Slots over 1199.
    Poker over 5k
    Tables over 600 and 300x the bet
    Not sure about racing or keno

exmediahack likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe I just need to sit out until Week 5 next football season. Went 4-2 on college picks last week, and 7-3 this week after a disastrous first month.

Lost on Oregon, Liberty and BYU's money line. The latter killed what would have been a sweet money line parlay. I threw $5 at a three-teamer with BYU, Minnesota and Oklahoma State that would have paid $85 if it had hit. Strictly an odds play since I liked all three teams and they were all somehow underdogs in toss-up games.
    Liberty, I never saw coming as a straight-up upset. Maybe they wouldn't cover, but lose outright? Ye gods. At least it wasn't a big chunk out of my budget.
    The rest of the results made up for it.
    Hit on UAB (-15.5 at Southern Miss, won 34-0); Kentucky (+21.5 at Georgia, got the back door cover on a TD with 4 seconds left); and a three-teamer with Alabama (squashed Mississippi State), Army (+14 at Wisconsin, hung tough in a 20-14 loss and even sneaked in a late TD in the final minute that made me feel better) and Ole Miss (-2.5 at Tennessee, and survived that debacle at the end of the game).

Lost a little over $100 over the first month of the season and have won all of it back the last two weeks. Not exactly @exmediahack numbers, but I'll take it.
    Not sure if it just takes me a month to triangulate teams, or I wasn't doing enough homework before, or what.

4. Matt1735

Had a 6-teamer yesterday, but also did a 15-way round robin with the same six teams, four at a time. Won everything except Boise. The $10 parlay got beat, but the round robin hit 10 ways for a $271 hit on a $60 bet.

5. playthrough

Couldn't resist a promo of +180 for every team to score at least one TD today (Jax/Mia and SNF excepted), and of course the Texans, Lions and Giants are going into the second half with zero TDs. Nothing like sweating the dregs of the league.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's two of the three. Just need the Texans to get to the afternoon.

7. playthrough

Texans were just awful. Should have pounded the Colts at halftime.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Texans are so bad that I won colts -24.5 +385 on a free bet.

playthrough and MileHigh like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was looking at next week's lines, and they're opening as a 17-point underdog at Arizona. I'm always leery of laying that many points in an NFL game, but the Texans really make me want to pull the trigger.

Side note: The Lions are listed as 15 1/2-point underdogs at the Rams. Really like the Lions in that one. There's a big difference between being awful and being unlucky, and I feel like the Lions (while bad) are more the latter than the former.

10. Matt1735

Cowboys miracle means my four-teamer was good yesterday. 50 became 340.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Enjoy this Black Friday-esque offering of free bets and bonuses for the NBA season opener.

Caesars: Bet $25 on the spread on BOTH games, get $50 free bets.
    DK: Pick Warriors ML and get Curry's total points x2 in a free bet tomorrow (30 points = $60) or Lakers ML with LBJ
    The Score: Bet Up to $100 on ML on any NBA team this week. If they lead after 3 quarters but lose the game, you'll get the bet back (up to $100) as a free bet. Do this for EVERY game this week, if you can. $100 at The Score and then bet the other way somewhere else. One of two of these will hit.
    FanDuel: $20 free SGP bet tonight on NBA.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Semi annoying that I missed all of that not being in a betting state this week, but oh well. The break was probably good for me as it was. Back home Friday so I can bet more then.

Draft saved Draft deleted