1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Two weeks in a row Army gave up the backdoor cover in the final minute or so. I had it in a parlay, but it didn't matter since I also had Pitt -15.5 and Oklahoma/Nebraska over 62.5. Spectacular fail.

I did pick up Cincy in the first quarter at +165 on the ML, so it appears I'll at least grab a small victory there.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's a rough one whenever UConn covers.

Great job on Cincy. I should have paid attention more and gotten down on that. Indiana has clearly spent all summer reading its press clippings and (in the QB's case) signing NIL deals, and that has added up to a 1-2 start to the season with the win vs. Idaho. Could be 2-5 in a month with the upcoming schedule.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Kind of felt Cincy was going to find a way to win that game. It was 7-0 Hoosiers at the time and IU had the ball deep in Cincy territory. Took it, IU fails, and everything works out.

Just living on baby single wins today, and that's fun. Got home from work after the Penn State-Auburn game started. Auburn was up 3-0 so I nabbed the Lions ML at -102. Also won a small bet on Wycombe Wanderers earlier against Charlton Athletic. Just grabbed Oklahoma State ML at Boise at basically even odds to keep me engaged for the rest of the night.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Go choke on a big fat Smurf cock, Boise State. And let the officials in that game join you.

Just had a promising three-teamer implode because Boise couldn't take care of business at home against an Okie State team that barely squeaked past Missouri State and Tulsa in its first two games. Boise State had a fumble return touchdown with three minutes left that would have given it the lead (and the cover) negated by an early whistle. They still got the ball, but shit the bed in the red zone.
    The other two legs were BYU (up two touchdowns at halftime) and Fresno State (up 13 at half), both getting points.

And that's after getting killed by the UConn backdoor cover this afternoon. What a kick in the balls this day has been.

exmediahack likes this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Didn’t make any big money today but the Indiana U8 wins feels very very good.

That goddam safety in Iowa cost me a 4-teamer. Only leg that lost... Kent State +22.5. I did Middle it in game, however. -15.5 to -23.5.

6. playthrough

Yeah, there's zero chance of losing that IU total (gotta go 8-1 the rest of the way), and right now it feels like a push would be a miracle.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, the Seabags gacked. But, I don’t care. Finally rocked a nice three teamer today: SF-PHI under, IND +4.5 (bought a half point I didn’t need), CAR +3.5. Fucking needed that.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Have a BIG middle working for the first half.

chiefs -2.5 to Ravens +7.5. Just bought +10.5 after Willie Beamen’s second pick.

MileHigh and playthrough like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The "Kick Batman in the Ballbag Tour 2021" came to its thrilling conclusion today with the Rams winning by 3, when I had them -3.5. The Rams gave up a special teams touchdown, BTW, when a punt snap hit one of their protectors in the arm and was recovered in the end zone by the Colts.

So to recap, I lost bets on a backdoor cover by the worst team in the FBS, to lose by 31 instead of 38; an inadvertent whistle and slight home favorite choking a winnable game away; and getting finished off by the hook on a small line.
    It's one of those weekends that makes you lose faith in humanity.
    Worse, it makes you second guess yourself. I was already looking at next week's lines and see three NFL games and a dozen college games I love, and I'm wondering what horrors I'll unleash on the world by putting money on them.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I feel ya. I guess that's why the wins feel pretty good, because there's a lot of stupid shit in between. I had a little baby bet going on Real Betis ML yesterday in La Liga, and of course they give up the equaliser at the death in the seventh minute of stoppage time. Also had a same-game parlay that was basically won last night until the Chiefs shit themselves. The player props hit.

11. playthrough

Everybody's got their "I'm not betting X anymore because of Y" -- mine is soccer and the effing stoppage time.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted