1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I normally avoid the SWAC for just that reason, but on a Monday there weren't a ton of options and Valley is beyond terrible. I bet against Valley more than I did for Alabama State. If Alabama State had won by 14 or something and just not covered it would have been less of an F-You from the gambling gods than Valley winning outright the one time I bet on one of their games.

I've learned never to get too worried about a basketball game I've bet on until there's about 10 minutes left. Nobody really plays hard in the NBA until the fourth quarter, and unless it's a huge spread in college one good run can turn a tight game into a 12-point game in a few minutes (or vice versa). You never really know which way things will swing until that final stretch.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

PointsBet has a promo for one CBB game every day, put $50 on the spread and get $3 free for every 3-pointer, even if your bet loses. I pick a team and then play the other team at another book, sacrificing $5 in juice for the 3-point bonus. Last night I had Virginia in the promo, who got their asses kicked at FSU and only scored 60 points -- but still had nine 3s. Nearly 300 teams in D-I average at least 6 made 3s per game.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Of note, Alabama plays the two worst teams in the SEC this week.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hit one two-teamer tonight. Was supposed to be a three-teamer but Jackson State-Texas Southern got postponed due to weather. But I got the UConn-Providence over by the skin of my teeth and SEMO rallied late to not only cover +6.5 but win outright.

I've also hit five legs of a $5 six-leg parlay of over unders. But the ride is going to end because I took the under 155 on Xavier-St. John's. Need them to combine for 13 points in the final six minutes. Ugh. Would have hit for $242. At least I have the insurance so it was a free bet.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That Colorado ML -490 f'd me BIG time over the weekend. How is the world has Colorado won 16 games without, apparently, rebounds or effort?

6. exmediahack

If you have access to MGM, you can usually get a "half-middle" in place for your $2.50 of juice. Or... if you have Sugar House/Bet Rivers, they'll do a 20% profit boost on Tuesdays for college basketball. Had a nice set-up last night: PointsBet $50 on Purdue -5.5. Then, 4 minutes in, BetRivers on Michigan State +9 at +113 (with the boost) and I dropped a $10 free bet on MGM at Purdue to win by 1 to 6 at +310. Thanks, Sparty, for quitting in the last three minutes. :)

playthrough likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cleveland Cavs have lost I think 11 in a row ATS. Longest streak I could find is 13.

8. playthrough

You've always got the angles! Yeah, Purdue only hit 3 3s last night but I was able to get around paying the juice with the boost, so it was worth the effort.

I'm on USC tonite -10 in the promo and Arizona St. +10.5 through MGM. (Would PointsBet still award the free play for a pushed spread bet?)

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I cannot figure out the Buffs. Just when I think they're going to get on a roll, they go to Berkeley and lay an egg -- after beating the Bears by 29 earlier this year.

They have some nice wins: At first-place USC, sweep of Stanford, home to Oregon.

But also some dreadful losses: At Cal, at Washington (which is just as bad if not worse than Cal and they had beaten the Dawgs by 23 earlier), at home to a middling Utah team (blew 19-point second-half lead).

They are 20 in NET and Lunardi has them as a 6 seed. But they are frustrating to watch. Which means they'll go and win at Eugene tomorrow.

10. exmediahack

Yes. You'll get the free play win/lose/push. They're not William Hill and their cheap ass promos (of which I'm banned from now!)

11. exmediahack

I was pissed at Purdue as they were 0-7 from three in the first half. I was going to write PointsBet for the Karma Kommittee to recommend: "If Purdue misses all of their threes, perhaps $1 in free bets for every miss." Then I was pissed at Sparty for not keeping it within 6. That was BAD basketball by both teams. Paige needs to pick better games.

12. playthrough

That would be genius for the Karma Kommittee, since then it would get out on the Twitters and PointsBet would lure more action to that promo.

Draft saved Draft deleted