1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Probe at U of Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Neither is an online poker site, since the debt was probably on the player's credit card.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No, because a golfer who ends up down a few hundred at midseason can't get even by calling a bookie and fixing his golf match. The NCAA is always going to get its dander up over any kind of gambling by football or basketball players, because that could somehow lead to compromising their cash-cow games. Golfers, wrestlers and gymnasts could be running Calcuttas at every tournament and no one would give a crap.

3. This is going to be a very big noise that amounts to very little.
    Online poker?
    Give me a break.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Feds are on the brink of making it impossible for people to fund on-line poker accounts, leaving the banks to enforce the fiat.

I can see this as something BO would step in to reverse, but for online gamers, this will be a sticky wicket, near-term.

And, no, I've never played poker online for money in my life. Not my fight.

5. When it's illegal, then this kid's in trouble.
    I don't see it though. Barney Frank, of all people, is on record in favor of online gambling, and whatever ban is proposed is going to have to get through his committee.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It's already banned and illegal. People like this and myself still play, though.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Too late. Douche Frist pressed this through in a midnight session, attached to the Ports Security bill.

Bushies are looking to be certain to pin the tail on the banks to enforce it before they (the Bushies, not the banks) slither back into the
    primordal ooze.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking. Since you can't play online poker without first giving the site money, I'm assuming he'll have a $600 charge on next month's credit card statement that he can't easily pay off. This is a good lesson for him, to pay $50 a month and see the outrageous interest charges he piles up.

What are they charging these days, 18 percent? 20? 22?

9. Would it have been too much to ask to have port security included in the port security bill?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ

Arizona State fucking laughs at this gambling probe.

Shit, Frieder was a card counter.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If they are gambling, on anything, they don't need to be playing college athletics.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Gee, Wally, lets take morals and ethics back to the 1950s

Draft saved Draft deleted