1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling on a sport/event you cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Breaking this one off from the NASCAR thread, because it is definitely a tangent.

I say that reporters should not gamble on a sport they cover, and that there is an absolute ethical bar to doing so because you can theoretically affect the betting line with your coverage.

Others say that, practically speaking, reporters can report with integrity and gamble on the outcome.

Here is some of my posts from the other thread:

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Dick, I think you needed to make a distinction in the first place between betting on a sport you cover, and writing, in advance, about an event you intend to bet on. There's potential for unethical behavior, especially among professional handicappers, because they're affecting people's opinions. But the most obvious scenario -- picking a horse in the paper that you don't believe is going to win -- is ultimately self-defeating to the handicappers, whose bread and butter is winning percentage and ROI.

3. Dick Whitman

Here's one for you: Not reporting a key injury in a team sport because the line now has value for you that it won't have if the world knows about said injury and the line swings.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Call me naive, but I like to believe that if one little score based on something that you alone know is that important to a supposed journalist, that person is so fundamentally not equipped to do the job that they're going to be exposed soon enough.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

SI profile of Crist and Beyer.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1068464/index.htm

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because gamblers are so ethical.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In some cases - it's the equivalent of insider trading. I've heard of instances where someone would hear what a strategy would be from a coach and bet the over/under accordingly.

It's funny though - whenever I watched Eight Men Out - I always identified with the ballplayers. Now players who can change a game, make too much to make fixing a game worthwhile to them.

8. Dick Whitman

And that's exactly why you shouldn't be allowed to serve two masters. The readers are deprived of information so the reporter can take advantage of an overlay/underlay that he had the power to correct.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you are my horse racing writer, I'm good with it. Otherwise, a lot more skeptical. And that includes March Madness brackets for college hoops writers and fantasy sports with cash prizes for leagues a writer covers.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I've never seen anyone on this board advocate homer-ism. How can it be clear that an emotional interest in the outcome is unacceptable, but a financial interest is immaterial?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This thread should have the Long Beach columnist squirming ...

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Not letting hoops writers do brackets seems pretty silly, but to each his own. One thing you can bet on, being an "expert" means very little. Dr. Z wrote about his disastrous foray into football gambling a few years ago.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1043098/index.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted