1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Galveston County Daily News - sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jun 18, 2009.

1. phoenixrising08

phoenixrising08 New Member

The Galveston County Daily News (30,000-daily) is seeking a sports writer who is willing to think way outside the box.
    The main coverage focus for this position is recreational sports. It’s a tough beat that requires a self-starter and the ability to tell a story beyond organized team sports. However, it also can be a unique and fun challenge for those who tire of just writing game stories.

Of course, being in Texas, there still are plenty of high school sports to cover as well. We usually have a team challenge for a region title in every sport.

This is not an entry level position. E-mail resume, cover letter and writing samples to Sports Editor Joshua Buckley at joshua.buckley@galvnews.com

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

THIS is not an entry-level position? Covering tee-ball and travel soccer for a 30,000-circulation paper?

Sports editor Joshua Buckley, I salute your high standards. And in this horseshit job market, your big dreams may yet bear fruit. But still...

3. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

If it's not an entry-level position, one would hope they're not paying an entry-level wage. Of course, it is Galveston, sort of the Taos of Texas.

4. esport12

esport12 Member

rec sports? really. Has it come to this?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Actually you can do quite a bit with recreation and participatory sports if you have a creative approach. Triathlons, marathons, cycling, fencing, sailing, golf, tennis.... covered them all. And, frankly, often are a lot more enjoyable than the traditional Podunk vs. Shitsville High games.

Most of your stories are featuresque and not as tightly deadline driven. Still, I would imagine at a place this size, that will be only a portion of the job and you'll wind up doing a fair amount of traditional coverage and/or desk work. Just not going to hang out with pro teams in Houston.

6. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

This really isn't an entry level job. Sure, you're going to write two or three rec stories a week, but none have to be about tee ball and or travel soccer, though they could. The guy who used to have this job once won a regional writing award for a story about carrier pigeons.

The new hire will be responsible for plenty of high school sports. You will share football coverage with Buckley. You will be the main person for volleyball, boys basketball, soccer and softball. That means you'll be at a game every Tuesday and Friday and you'll write all the necessary notebooks and features that go with those sports.

For only having 13 high schools there are some great teams in Galveston County. La Marque is one of the top three Class 4A football programs in the state. Friendswood went to the regional finals last year. Texas City won two state titles in the 1990s and played archrival La Marque for the regional title three years ago.

The Clear Creek volleyball team is one of the best in the region every year. The Friendswood volleyball team has won two of the last three regional titles. The Friendswood girls soccer team has won the last four regional titles. Two years ago the Friendswood baseball team won the regional title. The year before that Texas City won it.

Look, there will be a lot of rec stuff to focus on, but there is plenty of excitement outside of that.

No, this is not an entry level job.

7. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

One more thing...no desk work required.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

GoTeam, I applaud your dedication, and I'm sure the Galveston Chamber of Commerce appreciates the pitch. But just for the record, "Our volleyball teams are good" and "it's not all tee-ball" are a long way from "only a veteran journalist can handle this job."

You feel me?

9. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Don't hurricanes roar through Galveston? The job offer better be six figures.

I wouldn't touch this job for anything less than $400,000 and paid-for hurricane coverage.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Don't worry, Joshua isn't stupid enough to hire you.

11. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Guess you didn't catch on that I have no interest. Perhaps you can get a desk guy to translate for you.

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Where did the previous rec reporter land?

Draft saved Draft deleted