1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Galarraga imperfect game treatment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Jun 3, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My first paper was a 12K paper not far from where CKK is. I would say my prep football gamers averaged 25-28, with a coworker's going about 33-35. We had to edit those down because people in our area measured the stories to make sure no school got more coverage. We'd cover four a week, with call-ins on the other five. Prep hoops went usually around 20-23 inches, covering 2-3 on busy nights. We were generally 3-6 pages during the week, I think 10-12 on Sunday mornings (no Saturday paper).

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Let me clarify that football is different.

Each Sunday during the season, we run a 16-page full-color tab. Every game that we staff (usually four) gets two pages. Games that we don't cover get half a page (if there's a half-page ad on it) or a full-page (if other newspapers send us art, which most papers in KY are willing to do).

We don't have a Saturday edition and no prep football goes in Sunday's main edition at all (which frees up space for Kentucky/Louisville and, egads, Western Kentucky University football, Saturday cross country races, NASCAR preview, etc.).

During the spring, we'll routinely have two open pages for prep sports jumps. The long softball stories start on front and jump to inside with art. Keep in mind we cover seven schools. It's not like we're a major metro.

A lot of papers around here have long prep sports gamers. That's what happens when you have few D-I schools (six) and no pro sports.

IJAG's set-up was quite similar to mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted