1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gainesville, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Apr 3, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

any chance the pay would be higher than the circulation. I know it's an idiotic question, but asking them is why I got into the business

2. The Franchise

The Franchise Member

Hey boots, weren't you pretty upset a while back when your friend didn't get hired for this job? That may explain your negative depiction of The Times.
    That's not all I'm going to say.
    There has been some turnover there in recent years. But from what I know and from what I'm told, those who left moved up nicely or got out of the industry because of opportunities more conducive to family life - in other words, "to all that much better places."
    This job is underrated, likely because of the turnover. The dept. has a young staff with a lot of freedom, and there's a rare concentration of high-quality high school sports. Prep football there is pretty darn good, and the basketball talent there is even better. Not to mention, it's an area where population is exploding.
    It's a great place for a young journalist to work, particularly for those who may want to get to Atlanta or Athens every now and then.
    And yes, there actually are opportunities to cover UGa, Ga. tech sports on occasion (football/basketball).
    Depending on experience, I'd guess pay there would be low-mid 20s.
    All in all, it's a good place for a young journalist to get experience, have a little fun, and move on to bigger and better places.

3. boots

boots New Member

Wasn't upset. Miffed might be a better word but he landed some place better. Yes it is a young staff and the sports in the area is very good. The Company that owns it, Moris, however leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure I'm not alone in that assessment.

4. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

New to posting;but read frequently. Does anyone know where this position is at in the process? Anyone called for interviews yet? What's the pay? When do they expect it to be filled? Thanks!

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Dear god, please tell me you're talking about the job.

6. boots

boots New Member

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

PROTIP: It's a joke about your, um, traditional port of entry.

Sorry for the threadjack, folks. Back to Gaw-juh we go.

8. AJSmartschan

AJSmartschan New Member

They've started contacting people for interviews, as far as I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted