1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gainesville, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Apr 3, 2007.

1. The Times, Gainesville, Ga. is seeking a sports writer to round out and improve our award-winning four-person staff. We strive to be the best at what we do, and what we do is prep sports. Opportunities to cover major college sports, primarily the University of Georgia and Georgia Tech, also arise, but what separates us is our comprehensive coverage of our 15+ local high schools – nine of which compete in the same region. Job duties are writing-centered, but some desk responsibilities are included, so layout/design experience is a big plus. Other requirements include the ability to produce clean, accurate, lively copy that jumps off the page, as well as a journalism/communications-related degree, or equivalent experience in the field. Our staff is young and motivated. If you’d like to be a part of it, send a cover letter, resume and five writing samples to: bholloway@gainesvilletimes.com or Brent Holloway, The Times, PO Box 838, Gainesville, GA 30503. The Times is a seven-day daily newspaper (circ. 26,000) in rapidly growing Gainesville, Ga., about an hour from downtown Atlanta. We offer medical benefits, paid vacations, 401K and mileage/expense reimbursement.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Brent was a stringer at the Athens Banner-Herald a couple of years ago. That might tell you plenty -- and that's not meant as a dig at Brent.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Who's leaving?

4. boots

boots New Member

This one keeps opening up. That's all I'm going to say.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There's a reason, and that reason has little to do with the editorial staff or the area. That's all I'm only going to say.

Actually, I'll say a little more: This paper has long been a nice stepping stone. I can't say enough great things about the ME -- he's been in my corner since I was a cub (although he'd like it better if I said Cardinal. ;D). There are plenty of opportunities here that will make a young writer better, and help him/her move up.

That said, read the first graf above. Then read the second. Then read the first again.

6. Is it a problem in the sports department or poor / incompetent management (managing editor and/or publisher)?

How big is the staff?

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Four person -- says in the ad.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Publisher here is a longtime friend, but his background is in Advertising, with no Editorial experience until he got his current gig(s). I imagine he would be a hard-ass to work for, but that's not always a bad thing.

9. boots

boots New Member

So many openings at this place in recent years. And to be honest, it's not like the people who left went to all that much better places.
    I think Gainesville was better when it was under Gannett leadership. Morris (and this isn't the Augusta Chronicle or Florida Times-Union owned Morris. That's his brother) is scary in a lot of ways.

10. The last time there was a writer and SE positions open, they promoted from within. The writer is going back home to Alabama.

11. MU: What, you expect me to actually get through the first sentence of the ad? My bad. Hopefully reading comprehension is not a prerequisite for this position.

12. cwysock

cwysock New Member

got a wife and a baby who mean a little more to me than the job did.

i'm actually getting out of the industry all together. It's not because The Times is bad, but moreso due to the fact that I need a regular 9-5 to be the husband/dad I want to be.

Brent's a good guy to work for...

Draft saved Draft deleted