1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gainesville Columnist hits a new low

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SEC Guy, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I met Pat a time or two back when he was the sports editor and not a columnist. He seemed a rather happy-go-luck fellow but a bit of a doofus. I don't think he meant anything mean-spirited by it, but it was stupid.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I am totally not surprised that an alcohol-fueled comment by Pat Dooley would have gotten him in trouble. What DOES surprise me is that it has taken him this long, with literally hundreds of thousands of cocktails in the rearview mirror (pun intended), to have said something stupid enough out loud.

And before folks go asking about my Dooley-drinking bona fides, I have manned the mahogany/fetched booze "while I was up" and generally been an enabler for No. 77* on hundreds of occasions.

rb

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Shouldn't we request comment from Pat before we call him a drunk?

/meta

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Pat Dooley's Tweet = Sarah Palin's Targeting Map.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If some things are better kept off the board, you should have kept your bleeping mouth shut in the first place. Nice of you to take the high road now, after you've thrown shit against the wall.

Jerk.

6. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Sorry, Pat.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not Pat. Just someone who believes SEC Guy is throwing stuff out there and hiding behind his keyboard. As much as Dooley was wrong for his Tweet about Beamer, SEC Guy is equally wrong for his posting.

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Didn't mean to upset one of Pat's drinking buddies.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

His follow-up tweets and comments really put his apology in the "I'm sorry I got caught" category. Classy.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What Dooley did was wrong. So were your posts. And I don't know Dooley or Hondo.
    The biggest drinker? Seriously?

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

He *did* qualify it by saying Dooley is/was the biggest drinker HE had ever seen in 30 years. Pretty sure Mickey Mantle retired the trophy for "biggest drinker ever" in that time span. :)

rb

12. he's right

you don't anonymously call somebody a drunk on a trade message board

totally uncalled for, "SEC Guy"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.