1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gainesville Columnist hits a new low

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SEC Guy, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know Dooley's drinking habits, but I've got to think that if someone is named SEC Guy and has been a sports writer for 30 years, he probably knows what heavy drinking looks like.

2. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I could list incident after incident, many while working. Most in the conference have been amazed for years that the guy still has a job.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Do tell!

4. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Pat and I aren't friends, but I've carried his drunk ass to his room more than once, usually with the help of one of his embarrassed co-workers.

5. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I'm not claiming to be taking the high road, but some things are better kept off the board. Feel free to PM me and I'll demonstrate that I'm not making this shit up.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not defending him but Dooley comes from a different era and I've been on a binge or two with him. He can hold his liquor.
    Again, Dooley just says crap and doesn't think about it until its out there. Yes, he should've known better. It was a bad joke that he probably wishes he hadn't tweeted.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One thing for an athlete to tweet irresponsibly, another for a longtime veteran journalist to do so. We're supposed to know better, ya know. I'm with Double Down, screw giving him an opportunity to comment before posting a blog entry or anything else. His comment was the tweet.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Dooley apologizes to Beamer: http://www.gainesville.com/article/20110110/ARTICLES/110119976/1136?Title=Dooley-apology-to-Frank-Beamer

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

He doesn't even say what he did wrong.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

"Not only was this a violation of company and Gainesville Sun policy, it was simply uncalled for and dumb." Hmmm. Now what's going to happen?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good for him.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

genuine or forced or both? Not knowing the guy, I can't say

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.