1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gainesville Columnist hits a new low

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SEC Guy, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Unless the response from Dooley was "Someone hacked my Twitter account, I did not say that" I'm not sure what would have compelled Nagi to retract anything. What explanation could have justified it other than that? None.

So if your point is he should have waited to see if it was really Pat Dooley, I agree. Other than that, I think giving him opportunity to comment after the fact was fine.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dooley's been around a while. No excuse. Step away from the Twitter, Pat.

3. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I'm just surprised by Dooley's response. You'd think being a journalist might prepare someone on the proper way to respond to criticism. I think if he'd said he made a bad joke, and knowing what he does now, he regrets it and will be more cautious in the future, it wouldn't have been a big deal, and may have even made Nagi's blog seem like an overreaction.

4. What Deadline

What Deadline New Member

Dooley was wrong, and Nagi's blog was an overreaction.

Knowing Dooley, I have no doubt he meant no harm. It was a bad joke and very distasteful. I'm sure he'd take it back if he could. That's the danger of Twitter.

Nagi making this out to be a huge deal actually made it a bigger deal than it was. And I'm sure Knoxville's hatred of Gainesville played no part in the blog.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Tremendous post by Moddy. As someone who also has had many dealings with Frank Beamer, it's very easy to like the guy. With Bowden gone, he's the college coach who is the absolute best with the media. His assistants stay for years. His players love him. While his teams might tend to under-achieve a bit, the Virginia Tech fans would have him forever if they could. Can anyone name any NCAA rules issues at Tech? With the exception of Michael and Marcus Vick, I don't know of a whole lot of character issues with his players. And look at the ones who make the NFL: almost to a man, they're blue-collar guys with a tremendous sense of team.

Maybe Pat didn't know the full background about Beamer's injury. Hope that's the case. But there might be a lot of fallout for him like this because of how people feel about Beamer.

6. writingump

writingump Member

As someone who's covered Beamer for a decade, I'd have to second Moddy's feelings about him. Best coach to deal with, year-in and year-out, and a class guy through and through. Showed up at a spring practice one day back in 2005 after giving sports information a couple of days notice and had a photog with me who'd never been there before. First thing I know, Frank is greeting us, asking how I've been and then welcoming our shooter to campus. I wouldn't know Pat Dooley from Bill Dooley, nor do I know Mark Nagi, nor did I read what either had to say, but anyone who makes fun of someone's childhood burns is a scumbag -- pure and simple.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I've never heard a bad word about Beamer. There's no excuse for what Dooley did.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Anyone who is saying there's an excuse for what Dooley did please stand up. No one? Thanks.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps Nagi's response was over the top and Dooley didn't mean it.
    But it was a stupid thing to say -- and you can't unpee in the pool.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I could forgive the tweet -- he obviously didn't know the story. The reply to the blog post and the request to un-follow, that is some weak shit that his employers should have something to say about.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

NO ONE DOESN'T KNOW THE STORY! Jesus, it's the story every time VT plays in a bowl game. If you're a columnist covering sports at a paper that even REMOTELY covers college football, you know the story.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I watch a lot of college football, but I guess I don't watch enough Virginia Tech, because I had never heard the story until this thread. So I am holding out hope that maybe this guy didn't either. However, his later email reveals him to be a colossal ass, so maybe he did know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.