1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gainesville Columnist hits a new low

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SEC Guy, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

http://www.marknagi.com/archive/2011-01/pat-dooleys-questionable-judgment

Makes fun of Beamer for burns he had as a child.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't drink and tweet, people.

3. Point of Order

Also, pretty douchey move and bad "journalism" for Mark Nagi, whoever that is, to call a journalist out for an inappropriate tweet without giving them the opportunity to comment.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Apparently works TV in Knoxville. I'm sure he has no incentive to take shots at a guy in Gainesville. No sirree.

5. Point of Order

In what world is that a defense of making someone who was burned as a child?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For those that don't know, Frank Beamer is the head coach of the Virginia Tech Hokies. At the age of 7, a gasoline explosion caught his clothes on fire. He lived, but for the next three years he underwent roughly 30 operations. Scarring is still visible on his face and neck.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Um, isn't Dooley quoted in that blog? Didn't he respond to Nagi sending it to him? Wasn't that a request for comment?

8. Point of Order

Yeah, I already knew that. I thought you'd be better at reading comprehension with as worldly as you claim to be.

9. Point of Order

No, he blogs, then says "I'm emailing this blog posting to Pat, and while I don't expect a response, I will post it at marknagi.com if I get one." then Pat responds. I don't know Pat Dooley and, as I've already said, it looks like he drunk tweeted or otherwise showed a serious lapse of judgment. That notwithstanding, if you claim to be a professional journalist and you're about to blast someone on your blog it is only fair to give them the opportunity to explain themselves BEFORE you blast them. A simple tweet and e-mail to Pat, wait half an hour to see if he responds, and I've got no problem with it.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a current SID in the ACC who is a good guy and a friend - and he lurks here. Whenever I post something positive about Beamer, I get an e-mail that says something like, "Why don't you pull your head out of Beamer's ass?" or something like that. Mostly meant light-hearted but there's some seriousness to it.

I'll risk my pal's wrath here.

Anyone who has spent any kind of extended time around Beamer will tell you he's a very good guy. When I was working on a biography of him for now-defunct Sports Publishing (crossthread), I talked to a woman who flew in from California every year for his women's football clinic. Every year. She kept calling him Frank. It wasn't out of disrespect. That's how he made people feel around him. He was Frank, no different from you except he coached a football team.

His mom died on a Thursday night when VT played Maryland. At the urging of his three older siblings, he coached that night. Tech won big so most stories were about done but still, it was a Thursday night. We had deadlines. Yet when his PC was done, the entire media throng lined up as he came off the podum and shook his hand, some even gave him a bit of a man hug.

Shameless homers? Call us that if you want, I'll live with it like I'll live with the e-mail that is coming. I prefer to think it was a group of humans and professionals paying respects to another human and professional who treated us with respect and our professions with respect, even when we drove him crazy (which was fairly often).

Beamer has always been very self-concious about the scar, often positioning himself during on-camera interviews to obscure it as best he could. You had an easier time getting him to talk politics than you did about the fire, the scar, the whole deal.

After his mom died, he was very open about how much she meant to him and her strong influence in his life. She was a teacher and Beamer and his wife now collect books under the charity name Herma's Readers. He also had a freshman that same year she died, Macho Harris (now with the Redskins), who was burned in a fire at his home on the night Beamer was scheduled to make a home visit. After that, Beamer was a little more willing to talk about the fire and the aftermath. ESPN did an excellent feature (yes, I said that) on Harris and Beamer.

I don't know Pat Dooley and I don't know the guy who blogged about it. Dooley fessed up to his mistake, so there's that. But, Lord, how can you even think to ridicule a guy - a public figure or not - for something like that?

11. Point of Order

Moddy,

I agree 100%. Terrible judgment shown in tweeting that, no doubt. My only point was if the blogger gave Pat the opportunity before he posted his blog he might have tripped over himself apologizing and trying to retract.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And Dooley's not only proved the columnist's point, he managed to make himself look like a bigger asshole with his response.

Had he just tweeted, "Yeah, I fucked up,", I'd have a little more respect for the guy, and figured he just made a mistake. Instead, he gets all snarky because he got called out. Suck it up and be a man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.