1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gagliardi Protocols In Div 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DonBHennig, Dec 11, 2012.

1. DonBHennig

DonBHennig New Member

There is debate if "Game Day Only Tackling" and other injury mitigating protocols as practiced so successfully at D3 St. Johns Univ. for 60 years by Coach John "Call me John" Gagliardi, could work in D2 and D1 programs? I say surely yes. Skill, strength, stamina and discipline should be emphasized at all levels of coaching. Teach and maintain basic skills, like tackling and blocking.

But, at all levels, kids to pros, injuries lose more games than "missed tackles". And injuries are directly proportional to "full contact" events.

I believe there is a growing percentage of active coaches who do not believe "practice makes perfect" in regard to tackling. Coaches who believe that daily full contact drills and scrimages lose more games due to practice incurred injuries than due to missed tackles.

I believe most football players, at any division level of collegiate play, have well developed basic football skill sets; blocking and tacking and avoiding same. If the injury reduction and cost benefits of GDOT are addressed in the NFL players suit, many collegiate and high school coaches may start thinking more like Coach Gagliardi than Coach Lombardi.

DBH

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's somewhat customary to say "hello."

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

For a minute there I thought this was former NFL coach Dan Henning.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He had me at "Call me John".

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just be thankful he's not trying to steer us toward shady websites selling Uggz.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe they should rename The Super Bowl Trophy after Coach Gagliardi.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about that controversial volume, "The Protocols of the Elders of Gagliardi."

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mr Henley before this thread sinks to the bottom I ask you what metrics do you have to show that many D1 players are getting hurt in practice?

In this current season I can't think of many instances of hearing about players getting hurt in practice and missing games. No doubt there are some but I suspect that major programs are practicing the same way as Gagliardi but are just not making a big deal of it.

All the major HS's in our area are pretty much "live at the line/ no tackle" practice teams .

Draft saved Draft deleted