1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gag gets copy editor fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know the specifics of this, but I know that when I left my first gig, they did a mock front page for me and it almost moved me to tears... I think it's terrible that someone doing something great for someone else led to a firing even if stupid mistakes were made...

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Our place has forbidden mock pages for the very reason this guy got fired ... the content winds up on the Internet or in the paper. So many things are linked now, the word files, the pages. You build a page and assign stories to it and most of us have no idea where else these pages and stories are going.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Quick side question for the Mizzou crowd:

Do they still taunt The Maneater down there every year by putting out "The Shiteater"?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's too bad. When I left my last paper I really didn't expect to get a mock page because I didn't think enough people gave a crap that I was leaving, plus the department didn't have a reputation for doing them. Yet I got one, and I cherish it to this day.

I know the guy who did mine and every other mock at the paper, and he was smart enough to keep the files miles away from real news pages. It just can't be that hard, even in this era.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Just depends on the complexity (or non) of the production system.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Judge for yourself:

[​IMG]

But fishwrapper is correct, if somewhat generous, in his description of her. I know several people that were caught up in that meat grinder.

There was a time when I'd have given a lot to work there. Now, not so much.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

As nice as it is to receive them and all, it's just not worth the danger involved, as evidenced here.

I'd outlaw them at my paper if it was my call.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if they were done in invisible ink on flash paper?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Then the invisible ink would become visible just in time to be seen by 100,000 readers. ::) ;D

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I never saw or heard of the "Shiteater," but the Maneater would do an April Fool's issue, and the centerpiece was an article making fun of the EIC, probably like it would be for a mock page. I think while I was on staff the flag for that issue was "The Manboob" one year and "The Cake-eater" the next. I think the paper has also gone with "The Manwhore" in recent years. The blotter also mocked most people on staff.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

After reading these posts, the article and having heard about people who screwed up and let it get into the paper or website, I agree with you 100%.

Ain't worth it.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I would outlaw Wendy McCaw if it were my call.

Draft saved Draft deleted