1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gag gets copy editor fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 5, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm still not seeing the part where the real Dr. Laura somehow got herself involved by "holding sway" with the publisher and ... what, demanding that he be fired? I'm not getting that from what's writte here, just in Editude taking the swipe.

2. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Ah, OK. Makes sense.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Thanks, Hank, but I was inquiring about the actual content of the fake column.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

She probably didn't. From everything I've heard, the publisher at that paper is such a wingnut that she probably flipped out and ordered that the guy be fired just for screwing up anything with Dr. Laura's name attached.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wendy McCaw is a certifiable, malevolent bitch that turned a once-respected newspaper with many outstanding journalists into a sycophantish mouthpiece. Fuck her.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Is she hot?

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Depending on what the actual content of the fake column was I can't say if the guy deserved to be fired or not. But I'll err on the side of caution and say that firing is the right move, because once it's out there and it's been seen by people, the damage is done.
    The lesson here is don't put anything in the system you don't want to accidentally get on the web or in print. It's happened to too many other people in the past.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That has nothing on the entire 16-page section once created in a tumbleweed town, an ode to "The Animal." Nothing will ever come close to that brilliance. Ever.

9. Yeah, I'm sort of confused why people on here are acting as though this happened at a normal newspaper ... this is just more of the typical shit that's been going on now for a couple of years, and will continue to occur until she's gone.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

So how do you really feel about her?

11. That's not even the worst thing said about her that I've read on this site ...

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Trust me. I showed restraint.
    And I challenge anyone to prove any of it wrong (save the "fuck her" part).

Draft saved Draft deleted