1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gag gets copy editor fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

They made him a fake front page, too.

[​IMG]

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's an unfortunate situation.
    I've made a couple dozen of those pages in my day.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Fallin'?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

"The fake intro to the Dr. Laura column was part of a mock-page printed out and presented to Lara Milton, the departing copy editor, as a going-away memento.

"It's a newspaper tradition; you make up a newspaper page (usually page one) with fictitious stories making fun of the departing employee.

"So for Lara Milton, someone did a fictitious 'Dr. Lara' column with Milton's photo in place of Dr. Laura's. The tone of it was meant to be a parody of Dr. Laura's writing style.

"But what someone apparently didn't realize is that if you then use the same text file for the real Dr. Laura column, you have to delete all the mock material; any text left in the file will end up on the website, even that part is separated from what is 'flowed' onto the real newspaper page. It was a total accident that it ended up on the Web."

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Unless the fake column was profane or libelous, the firing seems unjustified. But, considering the source ... Dr. Laura, who lives there, seems to have a huge sway with McCaw, the publisher.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this is fucked up, but is race really an issue here?

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

He may be the only African-American there, but I don't think he's the only minority. The Knight Foundation numbers show between 15 and 20 percent non-white employees for 15 years. No numbers since 2004, but I can't imagine they suddenly got rid of all minorities.

Which is a long way of saying that I don't think race is an issue.

If it were my shop, I probably wouldn't have fired him, but if someone higher up ordered it, I don't know how hard I'd oppose it.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not sure Evel Knievel coulda made that leap. Care to really connect her to this story?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, he sure couldn't now.

10. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

About seven paragraphs down...

11. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

Is there something deeper here? Was he in the crosshairs before? Firing here seems to be a little severe - but not if they were looking for an excuse to shitcan him.

Not to threadjack, but that link gave me some news I missed - that the late Larry Whiteside will be in the writer's wing of the HOF. Good news.

12. Please tell me they called him Spike and that his wife's name was Aggie.

Draft saved Draft deleted