1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gag gets copy editor fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/071205_prince//">
    A copy editor at the Santa Barbara News-Press did a mock front page for a departing employee and a fake story ended up on the Web site and that leads to him being fired.</a>

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good lesson there, younguns.

Mock page -- great fun.

Mock story that gets published -- not so much fun.

3. statrat

statrat Member

I am shocked that the Santa Barbara News-Press would just kick a dedicated employee to the curb!

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He'll be one of many who find out how much better off you are once you leave a shithole.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Knew Dale years ago, good guy, no-nonsense New Yawka. Hey, he told him once that he couldn't talk about it, why shouldn't he hang up if the guy persists?

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Did Dale work the rim?

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Actually, yes, yes he did.

8. From the Baltimore Sun and the Virginian Pilot to Santa Barbara? WTF? I'm sure he'll land on his feet.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I'm not surprised after reading that story. Sounds like that paper is really fallin into the shitter

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Unless there was something just completely obscene in that parody, I'm not sure this dude should have been fired.

Especially since it showed up only on the website (apparently) and could have been easily taken down.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I only ask, because years and years ago I worked with a Slot(t) that worked the slot.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the fake column lede was?

Draft saved Draft deleted