1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaffe machine McSnarky refers to Obama as "Young man"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 23, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/mccain-judges-obama-that-young-man/

I'm sorry, but there is something really, really off-putting about a 71-year old white presidential candidate refering to a 46-year old black presidential candidate as "a young man."

Not only is it patronizing, but you get the distinct impression the next thing out of his mouth would be advising Obama not to serve fried chicken and collared greens at the Inauguration Dinner.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What the fuck does race have to do with it?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, dude...sorry but I don't see that race has anything to do with this. Maybe taking the logical leap a bit too far.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed. Bingo at Hardee's starts at 5 a.m.," McCain said.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Sorry, Spinning, I think you're really reaching here.

6. Armchair_QB

Reaching? Hell, he's out of his fucking mind. If McCain had called him "boy" he might have something. But his thinking on this one is a steaming pile of horsehit.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I think it's a mistake to refer to a 46-year old black person as "young man."

8. Armchair_QB

But it's okay to refer to a 46-year-old white person that way? Fuck off.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm not going to full-bore jump ugly, on this tidbit.

But IF McCain thinks that "young man" business is some sort of clever spin to make it appear the undecided had better ride with his rapidly-aging carcass, he's mistaken.

10. Armchair_QB

McCain's old enough to be his father. Hell, every guy who posts on here but spnited is a "young man" to McCain.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Colossal reach... If that bothers you, you won't make it until November...

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think it's a mistake to refer to a 46-year-old person as "young man" or "young woman," no matter what their skin color, for two reasons:

• Comes off as condescending.
    • Reminds the viewer that the person making the statement is himself well into what most people consider to be his retirement years — in other words, old.

McCain has a habit of not thinking before he speaks. That's not a good habit for a president to have.

Draft saved Draft deleted