1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gabriel Sherman on the new renaissance in sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: Gabriel Sheman on the new renaissance in sports journalism

For most sports writers, working on major investigative pieces are a pipe-dream because their paper won't commit any resources besides bare-bones coverage, or the sports writer is content with the rinse-repeat cycle of gamer, feature, and notebook.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Frank and Dick sum up my feelings better than I did. And Frank's right, I was being way conservative on "20 years ago."

My (badly made) point is kind of like Stitch's. It's hard to break off the resources for a lot of stories of this magnitude. But Frank's right: It was a lazy, easy paragraph. Those "hacks" have been reporting what they've been seeing for a long time now.

And YF, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the NYT's status as the best sports section in the country, even given what the past 15 years have done to some of the other contenders.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to know what sports section people think is better than the Times. I can't think of one that has more original reporting, dedicates more resources, or finds/tells better stories.

And, even with that, the Boogaard series was stunning.

And, maybe you're seeing a lot better examples of sports journalism than I am. Or maybe, when sports writers are up in arms about not being able to wear t-shirts and flip-flops to work, it's a perception issue.

And, not to go all SJNYC.com, but I think it's really funny that a bunch of journalists appear to be unfamiliar with Gabriel Sherman. "NYMag guy"? He's been a journalist, covering journalism -- your industry -- for at least five years.

Also, New York Magazine is not some high brow publication, pontificating from on high.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am on the record as saying that there is a lot of awful sports journalism. One reason is because there is a lot of sports journalism, period. It can definitely be a journalistic haven for the lazy.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Bottom line: It is tough to generalize.

6. YankeeFan

I think this is a good and fair point. Probably the best point.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yankee Fan: I hate to agree with you, what with the being a Sox fan since 1967 and all, but honestly, unless you are looking for a specific niche, like every day high school sports coverage, etc., I think the Times is right there.

It's more obvious on the web, because you do not have to dig throughthe paper ot get there.

And I will say they do hit on high school sports on occasion.

I love it.

But I hate the Yankees.

Have a nice day.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Who says we don't know his work? I don't think he has a very broad frame of reference on sports journalism. It's not like he went and talked to Frank Deford or Dave Smith or Paul Anger or Bill Dwyre -- at least there's no indication he tried to get a wider perspective on how and when sports journalism evolved.

9. YankeeFan

So, if you're familiar with his work, was it just condescension you were going for by calling him NYMag guy?

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Got to tell you Fan ... I'm not seeing your whole problem with that, just a passing reference. Not seeing condescension or anything else there.

11. YankeeFan

Well, he used it twice. And, yeah, on a site full of journalists/authors, maybe I'm the last guy who should be calling bullshit on it, but my observation has been that other authors/journalists are referred to by name here.

Jones is never Esquire Guy. MacGregor isn't ESPN Guy. Seems like a lack of respect to me, to refer to him that way.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yet you misspelled his name in the thread title. Go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted