1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GA Seattle P-I

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Were they looking to bring someone in over Ron Mathews?

Or replacing him ................?

I believe he is very well-regarded.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I know someone from the Santa Barbara debacle got hired as a night-time editor.
    Someone asked about the papers merging, which they won't do, but I have been told that the Times will be forced to hire 30 percent of the PI's workforce, meaning the Times will lay people off to bring people over from the PI. Also, even employees who have worked there less than 2 years will get severance packages, so if the person coming in is hot shit they can get another job after the PI sinks and they will have some extra money laying around.

3. I think the P-I's recent labor contract does include something about severance packages and I hear several P-I folks are getting healthy on-the-spot raises to not jump ship ... but that part about the Times laying off 30 percent of its force, that's crazy. God I hope not.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Times isn't laying off 30 percent of its workforce, allegedly they have to hire 30 percent of the PI's newsroom.

5. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

One interesting tidbit to this job is telling: That it is hiring for this position. My feeling is that things must not be that god-awful if they are hiring for a job that is not absolutely necessary, such as the Seahawks beat.

There are many, many papers (including several large ones with gold-plated reputations) that are not hiring enterprise positions because the money simply is not there. If the P-I was just trying to stay afloat, I figure it probably would be trying to save its nickels.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the P-I always has been and -- it looks like it -- always will be a class act. the wrong seattle paper is going down.

7. The way things are going in the business, joining the P-I might not be any riskier than going to a "stable" paper. (See what's going on now at the OC Register?)

Still curious what's up with the idea of bringing in an AME/sports. Anyone have the scoop?

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What the hell is going on at the OC Register?

9. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

As of a couple weeks ago, Matthews was still calling the shots.

That was my point, miamiheraldchick. I know of at least one paper that would more than qualify as stable that is not filling a GA position. Filling it would be nice for the paper, but it is hardly seen as a necessary hire. Unlike a major beat, it can wait until the beginning of the year ... or might not be filled at all.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ocregister30sep30,1,1487928.story?coll=la-headlines-business

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The GA job has been filled from inside.

12. deportes

deportes Member

heard jon naito was in the running for the ga job. was it him?

Draft saved Draft deleted