1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GA Seattle P-I

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Company: Seattle P-I
    Position: Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 12, 2006
    Job ID: 668970

Description:
    The Seattle Post-Intelligencer is looking for a dynamic, do-it-all sportswriter who can handle a wide variety of feature, trend, breaking news and investigative stories.
    This isn't a covering-games position, though you will do some of that, especially during the Seahawks season. This is a general-assignment job. We're looking for a bulldog reporter who is as comfortable with public records as game records. When news breaks involving our athletes or teams, you will be expected to take the lead role and work with others from throughout the newsroom as the story develops.

Versatility and a proven work history as a self-starter are key. The ideal candidate will have at least five years of daily newspaper experience, with a background in news and a portfolio full of compelling features.

Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume and about a dozen clips showing your range of coverage and story approaches. Submissions can be mailed to sports editor, Ron Matthews at 101 Elliott Ave West, Seattle, WA, 98119; or e-mailed to ronmatthews@seattlepi.com.

Two good openings posted within 24 hours

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

bump!

3. Anybody heard any updates on this one?

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is there a countdown for this paper's demise yet or, perhaps, a magic number for it?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the clock is ticking. i'll take the under on two years

6. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

This seems like a coveted gig, but they've got to be able to offer candidates they want some kind of contractual assurance that this will last more than a few years, or an especially nice buyout if it doesn't.

7. sheos

sheos Member

sorry for being retarded, but i'm an east coast guy. anyway, i've heard this paper is going down the poop catcher, but what exactly will happen to it? will the two papers just officially merge together and the city of seattle will have one newspaper (and just two pro sports team once those oklahoma business men get their dirty hands on a great franchise?)

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the papers won't merge dog.

9. scalper

scalper Member

Sources say they made a play for a diversity hire who would have come on the cheap (relatively speaking), but got turned down. And why leave a secure job for a job where the ticking is growing louder?

10. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

I would imagine this is still a good gig. Rock it for a couple of years -- which the paper should have -- and then move on with a load of good clips.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, P-I sports kills the times each and every day.

too bad the best paper in town is the one going down ... kinda reminds me of a girl i knew in high school, though. awwww, different story.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I would think whoever got hired for this gig is talented enough to do well landing on his feet if/when everything comes down. In the meantime, work hard and grab those clips.

Draft saved Draft deleted