1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GA reporter; Wasilla, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, May 30, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1173092

Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman
    General assignment reporter
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    July 3, 2010

Description:
    We need an ambitious reporter who can hit the ground running. The Mat-Su Valley is the fastest growing area in the state, about 45 miles north of Anchorage. This job isn't about covering Sarah Palin. You will cover the Mat-Su Assembly, three city councils, feature stories, crime and courts, business and sundry other areas a well-rounded local news reporter would be expected to do. Sports/outdoors background a plus. We offer a benefits plan and vacation begins accumulating after a 90-day probation period. You will join a small, talented staff who care about this place and its people. If you get bored covering the news here, it will be your fault. We don't cover moving costs. For more information or to send a resume, email tc.mitchell@frontiersman.com

I know Alaskan papers won't pony up for moving costs since they have to pay to move you back if you lose your job, but the pay is outrageously low. This looks to be the job for the washed-up or desperate grads.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But on the plus side - I hear Joe McGinnis will rent you a room for cheap.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Can you see Russia from your office window?

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know. The pay appears to be about the same as it is on almost all the other journalism job listings that don't just say "negotiable."

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

But I'm also guessing cost of living is way higher up there.

6. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

My guess is you'll get to cover plenty of the Pallin kids' little league game.

7. NegativeVertical

NegativeVertical New Member

I figured Sarah was still in T-ball.

8. DanOregon

I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of journo job postings that try and make the low pay and heavy workload some kind of "plus."
    Kind of makes me think of want ads for suicide bombers. "You'll die a horrible death but...."

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

...you'll be hard-pressed to find 72 virgins in Wasilla.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And that's just looking at the high school.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So now it's the reporter's fault that he's overworked and underpaid?

12. DanOregon

Just once I'd like to hear a paper like this understand what it is - it is a rung. If your job listing doesn't suggest that the job will help someone get to "the next rung" it probably means it won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted