1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ga. HS FB player dies after breaking neck on tackle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 18, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

De'Antre Turman, a junior at Creekside on the south side of Atlanta. Was apparently beginning to draw heavy college interest and already had an offer from Kentucky. Happened during a scrimmage.

The video linked at the top doesn't contain the injury, btw.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/high-school-football-player-dies-after-being-injur/nZRR2/

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This has the potential to napalm the "Oh, football's safe if we teach everyone to tackle correctly" argument.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Damn. Not the first time something like this has happened.

I don't know if it's the case here or not, but, yes, proper tackling technique is important and should be taught at the earliest levels of the sport. There are always going to be risks associated with this, or any, sport. I'm not on the "we ought to ban football" bandwagon. I don't know what the answer is.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not by itself. It's just another log on the fire.

At this point it's clear as day: Football is dangerous. If people want their kids to play it, they're accepting that risk.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No.

If the kid broke his neck on a tackle then he either wasn't tackling properly or it was a freak occurrence that had nothing to do with how he tackled the other player.

Either way, your point is invalid.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why does it matter that he was gay?

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Way, way, way more people die each year running and swimming than playing football.

Ban running and swimming.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good Lord

You just nailed a false equivalency.

Good work

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Did anyone in this thread suggest banning football, or do we just start with the trolling before there's anyone to troll now?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ban football!

OK. Have at it now.

Seriously, love the sport, but if you play through high school you're almost guaranteed to have aches and pains through life -- at best.

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I just thought I'd fast-forward us to the inevitable conclusion. Settle down, Junior.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

“The NFL needs to protect defenseless receivers from low hits. To me that is way more important than helmet to helmet. #nfl”

—@KellenWinslowJr, Jets tight end, on the Swearinger hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted