1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

G20 running thread..Canada's largest city shut down ...but there's no traffic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 24, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, good. We are now officially --at least for the weekend---a police state.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/828367--g20-law-gives-police-sweeping-powers-to-arrest-people?bn=1

The province has secretly passed an unprecedented regulation that empowers police to arrest anyone near the G20 security zone who refuses to identify themselves or agree to a police search. .

It's bad enough they passed this but they didn't even publish it or debate it in the Legislature. Shame.

Under Canadian law (well, until this one), you do not have to provide identification to a police officer.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not sure how Canadian law works, but in America, there's a difference between having to identify yourself and having to provide identification.

3. Chuck_Tatum

Chuck_Tatum Member

What really pisses me off is that there is a James Hunter-Taj Mahal concert downtown on Sunday night and I can't even think about going.
    All I can do is sit in the home office out in God's country and listen to the dozens of military helicopters that have been flying overhead for the last two days.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

7:30 Rush Hour

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And we're off!!

[​IMG]

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So refreshing to see the leaders of the world's top democratic nations setting a good example.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Friend of mine who works downtown claims all the lawyers in her office were told not to wear suits to work so that they would look less corporate.

Instead everyone wore khakis and a golf shirt, I am sure any protester who wanted to give them a hard time was fooled.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Getting a little testy down there now.

First tear gas goes off

[​IMG]

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And they have set a police car on fire.

[​IMG]

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the updates, JR. Keep up the good work!

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Where is that? Across from Union Station?

Draft saved Draft deleted