1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

G.E.’s Strategies Let It Avoid Taxes Altogether

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 24, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: G.E.’s Strategies Let It Avoid Taxes Altogether

Probably some truth to this.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And give companies with bigger work forces a lower tax rate.

Employ 100,000 people (number off the top of my head) in full-time positions? Your tax rate is 9 percent. 200,000 employees? 8 percent. Make other incentives related to employment, too.

I would think it would encourage innovation and expansion by firms.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

So why does all that tax money go to defense then? We clearly don't pay the people and we don't pay the veterans and now you're telling me we don't spend it on equipment. Where does all that money go?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Because you're paying contractors three times what you could pay Soldiers to do the same work. My company, which has more helicopters than any other company in the ARMY (that's right, we're the biggest aviation company in the Army), has NO hangar space. Our four bays are occupied by about 100 contractors rebuilding Chinooks. And I don't have money for office supplies.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Friend of mine works at the Pentagon for a big contractor, doing media-related stuff.

She's making 35 percent more than I am, and I'm making a decent wage. And her firm gets a certain percentage of her salary from the government to pay for administrative expenses, as does another firm.

That's just one example. So many people have their hands in the jar.

Contracting is run amok, but speaking of lobbies, the PSC, Lockheed, Northrop and everyone else will fight to the death to prevent chopping away at that.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The nation is run by newspaper executives.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I wish we'd eliminate the corporate income tax. A whole lot of issues would become non-issues if there was no corporate income tax.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, if there's no corporate income tax, do companies like GE repatriate billions of dollars because there's no penalty?

If yes, what would be the result? Does that money go to work here?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don't know much about that repatriation deal, but even if nary a dollar were repatriated, I'd still like to see the corp income tax eliminated. It leads to a tremendous dead weight loss on the economy -- e.g., those 975 tax lawyers -- without really adding any revenue that wouldn't be raised otherwise.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

On the first question, it depends on if GE and the like can still get the same product made or service delivered from China, India, etc. for less money. That's the thing that the "tax cuts for the corporations will result in more money flowing in" mostly ignore. Our current corporate tax rates are far lower than they were decades ago. And corporations are now rolling in profits again. Yet they don't hire here. Why? Because, in spite of all the tax and regulation breaks they have gotten over the decades, it's still cheaper for them to outsource the jobs to other countries. Why pay an American in Colorado $30 an hour plus benefits to handle customer service when you can have an Indian in Chennai less than half of that? Why have your top-selling car manufactured in your home country - the United States - when you can have it manufactured in Mexico for less?

This economic downturn is different from previous ones because the jobs that left during this downturn aren't coming back. We have to invest in the education and infrastructure needed to produce different kinds of jobs - science, technology, medical - that make use of our country's relative affluence. This will take government breaks for investors and entrepreneurs. But it will also take some government investment as well. Trickle-down economics alone won't do it.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Although it would only be a drop in the bucket, but I'd like to see a law that would allow unlimited campaign contributions by anyone for presidential and congressional races.

But the catch is that 50 percent of that money is taxed and goes to the government for deficit reduction. The 2008 campaign cost $5.3 billion.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15283.html

Maybe in order to receive influence, people and corporations give, let's say, double that amount to $10.6 billion. Half that gets taxed to the government.

You then get around the free speech argument, and you help reduce the deficit. Do the same for the state governor and legislative seats to raise state revenue.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Highest corporate tax rate, blah, blah, blah..."

Draft saved Draft deleted