1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

G*dd*mn you, NBC!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Apr 9, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You know, I knew Black Donnellys wasn't going to be on today, but after sitting through a half hour of this simmering pot of cow shit called "Thank God You're Here!" now I'm really pissed.

First I get into Studio 60 and they put that on indefinite hiatuss. Then they follow that with another excellent show, The Black Donnellys and I get into that. Then boom! Off the air again. Now, I understand the adjective "excellent" when applied to both shows is obviously subjective, but the utter suckitude of this new show is not.

I have not cracked a smile once. I heard someone on SportsJournalists.com say they liked it the first time when it was called "Whose line is it anyway?" Not having seen "Thank god you're here!", I assumed it would be different. It is. It sucks rat feces, while the Comedy Central verson of WLIIA was great. They even do the stupid scoring system, use a buzzer to end scenes and have four guests.

I'd rather let an elephant shit on my head for an hour than watch this dinosaur-sized dump they call a TV show.

Fuck you, NBC. Fuck you right in the ear. I'm going to the fucking zoo.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Big fan then, right?

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I thought this thread was because Imus got suspended :)

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I went through something similar with ABC many years ago when it killed The Job, Gideon's Crossing and one or two other shows that I really liked.

5. bigpern23

I just wrote to a TV station to express my displeasure for the first time in my life. I usually don't get too worked up over TV shows, but I really enjoyed S60 and the Black Donnellys, and I really despise this show. Had to get it off my chest.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The only thing you could say in NBC's defense is that they gave us Studio 60 and Black Donnellys and hardly anybody watched, so maybe they figured quality doesn't sell. People seem to prefer cheap-to-produce crap like Deal or No Deal and Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, so that's what we're getting.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Writing the station does no good. They have little, if any, control over it, and they likely won't forward your message to NBC. Best to go right to the source: www.nbc.com

I never got into Studio 60 or the Black Donnellys, but a friend did. He wasn't too pleased with S60 getting sent to the shitter either.

8. bigpern23

I should have been more clear. I wrote to a TV NETWORK for the first time. I was on NBC.com. I later watched this week's episode on my computer. It would have been better, y'know on my TV, but it was still pretty good.

The problem is, those shows hold a much different audience than Heroes, S60 or The Black Donnellys. With Heroes on hiatus, The Black Donnellys has had nothing but reality TV as a lead in. I don't think it would ever hold that short-attention span theater audience. Medium is a pretty big hit for NBC. What's its lead in? Crossing Jordan, another one-hour drama that holds a similar audience.

Also, the rest of the episodes are filmed a paid for. Why the hell not let it finish its run (what did they give it, six episodes?) and see if it can find an audience. Move it if you have to. You've already paid for it! What good is cheap programming if you're paying for it on top of other, more expensive shows you've sent to the morgue?

9. HiringWeekly

HiringWeekly New Member

I watched it online too. Good show that deserved a better fate. S60, too.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

TV stations don't give shows much of a chance anymore. It pisses me off the number of shows that get the ax so quickly without a suitable replacement lined up.

11. hoopswriter

hoopswriter Member

Add Kidnapped to the list of shows that NBC has given up on before its time. Kidnapped was an excellent show with a fantastic cast, and NBC moved it after about three episodes from Wednesday nights to Saturday nights. Three episodes later, it was gone. Why hype a program if you're not going to stick with it for at least half a season? Didn't NBC learn from Seinfeld that some shows need a little time to generate a following?

12. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

This is the same network that punted on JAG after one season and treated Homicide: Life on the Street (and currently does Scrubs in that manner) like dirt in order to put on dreck like Jesse, Daddio and whatever crap that passed for TV while also pumping up Friends (the most overrated show ever) and Will and Grace. TV networks aren't willing to let a show build up an audience and let the viewers decide. If Cheers came on now, it would have been pulled in order for some pathetic assed gameshow or reality program to fill the minds of braindeads.

Draft saved Draft deleted