1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

G-8 Summit Moved from Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My guess is that there had to be some threat to force a decision like this. If so, Chicagoans should be thankful.

I mean, it makes sense. Hit Obama in his home? I could see it from a potential terrorist strike standpoint.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I used to enjoy the world leaders getting together and the host showing off a different part of their country, but now it's just a designated place to protest. The leaders see none of the crowds, who are only there to gain the attention of the press in town who don't have anything else to cover because they are equally left in the dark.

I'm surprised the US doesn't just keep it at Camp David, a National Park or some island.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The Chicago Reader had a good feature last month on the troubles of getting ready for G8/NATO. http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/nato-g8-questions-and-answers/Content?oid=5634322

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Upon further review I suspect they moved it so as not to interfere with the Cubs-Sox series that weekend...

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Why would you host one of these things? It's not worth it. And, if I was a cop, I'd take vacation. Toronto clamps down, JR calls it a police state. Vancouver doesn't crowd the downtown with cops, they get ripped when idiots riot.

If I loved in Chicago, I'd be applauding this news.

Draft saved Draft deleted