1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

G-8 Summit Moved from Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pretty shocking. The city has been preparing for this like crazy for a while now. And, they forced one of the biggest conventions of the year -- the National Restaurant Association show -- to change their dates.

Hotels just lost a lot of business. Should be easy to get a table at some top restaurants though.

Pretty big embarrassment for Rahm too.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I blame Whole Foods.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Guess the protesters will have to find something else to protest.

The Cubs would be a good start.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bush wouldn't have moved the G-8 if it was held in Dallas. Obama's a HYPOCRITE !!1!!

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I guess Obama was worried that Rahm might lose his cool and start cursing out everyone in his path, from G8 leaders to protestors.

"You f---ing mother f---kers! Get the f--k out of my g-d damn Millennial Park you c--k suckers! F--k this s--t! I'm going to kick all your a--es, you s--t for brains c--k f---kers!"

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Losing the NRA show might have been a disaster even before the G8 cancelled. There are going to be some mega pissed people over this. You'd have to think this doesn't happen unless there is some rock-solid intelligence that bad shit was coming ... and not an Occupy style protest either.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The fact that the Post's hyperlink includes the slug words "national-security" certainly hints at that conclusion, if I may speak conspiratorially.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. The NRA show is a big f-ing deal, too. Big.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, at least Chicago won't have to put up with the police brutality that we had in Toronto for the G-20 summit in 2010.

Police State Gone Wild.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Arcade Fire, "Gonna make an air strike in the month of May, in the month of May, in the month of May ..."

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The NRA show wasn't cancelled, They were able to move it.

But, I'm sure they're pissed they moved their dates, only to see the G-8 cancelled.

Supposedly the NATO summit, which is the following two days is still on for Chicago.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since all of the security preparations and concerns still exist for the NATO summit.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There had to be some kind of security issue. Either that or the President's handlers didn't want a repeat of Toronto so close to the election.

Draft saved Draft deleted