1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fyre Festival disaster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You're crazy.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Even these people aren't dumb enough to go for that.

I Should Coco, dixiehack and Batman like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

McFarland is obviously a con artist douchebag piece of shit, but I'm still wondering what to make of Ja Rule's place in all of this.
    Seems to me he was like a lot of other people who got suckered in by this guy and didn't realize until it was way too late that he was in deep. It hasn't been definitively defined, though, if he was culpable in all of this, or just shackled to a corpse and actually is trying to salvage what he can of his reputation.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fyre emails: Leaked docs show execs were notified of urgent concerns weeks before festival

In an urgent April 3 email with the subject line, "RED FLAG- BATHROOMS/ SHOWER SHIPPING," a mid-level Fyre Festival worker alerted senior staff, including 25-year-old co-founder Billy McFarland and Fyre Media president Conall Arora, of a growing crisis: the unexpectedly high costs (estimated to be at least $400,000) of shipping enough toilets and showers to the Bahamas to accommodate an anticipated 2,500 people on the island.

This followed the news that its caterer, Starr Catering Group, had just pulled out of the festival. Those two events prompted one assistant on the email thread to joke, "No one is eating so therefore no ones pooping."

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. Maybe it's not as bad, but it's pretty bad, even if Pete Wells isn't overly sympathetic.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This sounds like a Cosmo Kramer subplot.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Seventy-five bucks and the promo poster is a watercolor? Shoulda been obvious.

Hermes likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I almost have a grudging respect for anyone who can convince a lot of people to pay $75 a pop. ... to go to Bushwick. ... for pizza. Jeez. That's almost four pies at Juliana's or Lombardi's or Keste, and you don't have to worry about dodging bullets to get pizza at those places.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know there have been a few sketchy beer festivals that have been held around here.

In those cases, actual breweries, who didn't know of anyone participating tried to warn folks off on social media, but many still ended up buying tickets.

I'm not sure I could justify $75 bucks for pizza under any circumstances, but you really need to confirm the participants before attending.

And, unless something is being offered that's not usually available to the public (like some limited release, barrel aged beer at a beer festival, for example), I'm not sure why you wouldn't just visit the participating vendors individually.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd pay $75 for a pizza, if it came with a $50 bill.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Industry Kitchen, South Street Seaport.

[​IMG]

We walked past it this summer just for laughs. Then went to Joe's for $2.75 a slice.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted